E35-III mast lift point

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Can ayone tell me the point along the mast to lift it out of the boat? I would like to keep it a little bottom heavy so as to keep it upright once clearing the partner. My YC just installed a nice, new jib boom rig for stepping and unstepping masts. This will be a major money saver as I can now do this myself(with plenty of friends of course) and my hauler can pick up the boat from our ramp.

dcoyle

Member III
When the yard unsteps the mast on our E33 they tie a line around the mast below the lower spreaders and pull it out with a boom truck. It stays vertical till they are ready to lay it down.

Glyn Judson

Blance point of a mast.

All, When my yard pulls my mast they loop a line (eye) around it below the spreaders. That eye has a small line leading down from it that they use to attach to a mast cleat or winch well below the loop. In this way they can position the loop where they think it should be with the simple advantage of adjusting it later from the deck or yard if necessary before proceeding with the lift. Glyn E31 #55, Marina del Rey CA

treilley

Sustaining Partner
That is how it was done on my Pearson 28 but the E35 has double spreaders and I would think the sling would need to be just above the first set of spreaders.

Chris A.

Member III
Picture

Here's some pics of ours Tim...

mast 1.jpg

mast 2.jpg

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Chris

It appears that it was pretty well ballanced at the steaming light. Was there a line to keep the sling from sliding up the mast when you pivoted it into the partner? What are your plans this year to unstep the mast and transport your boat?

Chris A.

Member III
Yes, there is a line just as described by Glyn that keeps the loop from sliding up the mast. Also notice that they used a flatter strap to actually encircle the mast, then tied the heavy line from the crane to that.

We will have Handy Boat unstep the mast and use their travel lift to get the boat on Dayton Marine's trailer. Dayton has been absolutely top-notch as far as the transport is concerned.

Let me know if you need some extra hands for yours...

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tim is right

Any competent yard should be able to do this correctly without even bringing it up. If the yard is not sure how to do it, find another yard-there are bigger problems. This should be a no brainer for a yard accostomed to working with sailboats....or have I missed the point? It WILL be between the spreaders, but they should know this...