E35-II Repowered with Sail Drive ??

Zbingham

Member I
Have you seen or heard of anyone converting to saildrive on an E35ii (or similar)? I don't think it would make sense on the mid-engine/under dinette models since the keel would be in the way. However, I have an aft-engine/under companionway model...

It seems that most people that have sail drives love them, and people that don't have them are terrified of them. The main concern is having a rubber boot keeping the sea out of the boat - and of course cutting a giant hole in the bottom of the boat and glassing in a bathtub looking mount. It seems there are plenty of pros including quieter operation, less smells, no leaky stuffing boxes, more hydrodynamic, no shaft alignment issues, etc.

The reason I ask is because I just picked up a used Beta 28 that has only 25 hours on it - but it has a selva sail drive. Trying to decide if I should keep the sail drive, or buy a different transmission and keep the straight shaft. I am in the midst of a major refit including replacing pretty much all interior plywood....so cabinetry modification or access to the area is not a concern. I kind of like the challenge and seemingly one-off installation. But maybe there are others....

What do you think? Feedback please!

Attachments

• beta28.jpg
    beta28.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 243

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very Interesting

Hmmm..... given the need to monitor the condition of their zinc's all the time, I have always been a bit leary of them. However, they DO put the prop in deeper less-disturbed water, and best, align the thrust with the surface which puts the maximum torque to the water- it's like getting another couple of hp out of the engine, imho.

There is a guy at our club that re-engined his original-shaft-drive New York 36 with a Beta S-drive. He glassed in the old shaft log and used the provided frp "tub" that comes with the engine. If you did not get that important part, you need to buy it from Betamarine. It incorporates motor mount area and is glassed to the hull -- this solves a host of install problems.

Sidebar: since you will be glassing over the old shaft log, it likely doesn't matter too much where the original engine was located in the boat! :)

Pix when you are able, please.

Regards,
Loren

Zbingham

Member I
Ya I like the idea of thrust inline with trajectory, but I think you lose a little power from the outdrive style gearing of the sail drive compared to straight shaft. I got a quote from Beta a while back to re-power and they recommended their 25hp model. The 28 is only a little larger in size and weight so I don't foresee a problem there. Curious how this setup will perform.

Loren, have you heard of any issues the guy in your club had with the install at the time or now later on? Know of any tips he might have or things he would do differently?

The motor did come with the old "tub," but I think I will need to get a new one (pics coming soon). The tub basically comes as a blank and requires contouring the tub to the hull shape. I'm not sure there is enough meat left of the old one to shape and reinstall. The guy I got the motor from showed me a picture of him with the boat he took the motor out of....
Notice anything interesting in the background?? :egrin: Lake Michigan in or near Chicago - not sure of the date.

Attachments

• IMG_5867.jpg
    IMG_5867.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 227

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Sail Drive

Sorry I can't offer any info on the install.....do not have a clue.....

BUT....I have a friend with an X-Yacht 382 with a saildrive........smooth as silk.....ZERO vibration at any RPM......seems to have less paddle wheel effect.....the fact that the prop is sraight rather than the angled shaft sure makes a difference...

On all of the points covered by Loren all that needs be said since you are doing an extensive refit is get with it.....anxious to hear the end result whenver that will be.

It sure looks like Monroe Harbor in Chicago but the details are blurred.....so it could be looking north to Navy Pier.....From the look of the skyline it was probably quite a few years back.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Unless you mounted the motor significantly further aft, wouldn't the keel be in the way of the sail drive unit?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, have you heard of any issues the guy in your club had with the install at the time or now later on? Know of any tips he might have or things he would do differently?

I believe that it's been maybe five years and the boat goes out weekly for races, with no apparent problem.

Loren

Zbingham

Member I
Unless you mounted the motor significantly further aft, wouldn't the keel be in the way of the sail drive unit?

It looks like the drive unit will end up approximately halfway between the rudder and keel. The motor is under the companionway on my boat. I think it would hit the keel if motor was under the dinette seat.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hi, I mounted a Volvo D1-13 Saildrive in a San Juan 26 about four years ago. The saildrive is the most wonderful thing I did to the boat including a complete rebuild of a custom interior. The boat maneuvers far better than it did with the conventional shaft. It turns faster under power and does not cavatate in tight turns. Also prop walk is greatly reduced (the thrust is closer to the center of the boat). It has the folding prop but it backs well and will attain 7.2 knots under full throttle. The straight back thrust helps the efficiency a lot. The steering is better when under spinnaker due, I think, to the extra little "skeg" between the rudder and the keel. The best thing, though is the total lack of vibration! I have been asked if I had an electric motor in it from people helping to dock it. It's that quiet at low rpm's.

The rubber seal at the leg is very robust and strong. I have not heard of one failing even in older installations. The leg is aluminum and subject to corrosion. On the Volvo, the leg is electrically isolated from the engine and the electrical system. Care must be taken to provide an electrical path to the water. The zincs are large and nicely faired. They should last at least a year in salt water and a very long time in fresh water.

If you send me a private note with your e-mail, I can send you a bunch of pics of the installation and the PowerPoint I have of the rebuild.

Zbingham

Member I
Before Pictures

Here is what I'm starting with. Its a little dusty and dirty from sitting for several years. It has been crated and hauled around with the previous owner on a couple moves.

Unfortunately something hit the alternator at some point and got pushed back, cracking the housing. It does not look repairable.

Also, If you look close at the drive unit you will see the retaining ring piece (just inside the anode) is cracked...hopefully this is the only part that is broken and is an easy fix. A friend of mine said that if there was some water left in the lower unit it could have froze and pushed out enough to crack that part. Anyone encountered this?

I plan to bench test this thing in the next week or so and see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_5873.jpg
    IMG_5873.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5874.jpg
    IMG_5874.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5875.jpg
    IMG_5875.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5876.jpg
    IMG_5876.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 54
  • drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 37

Grizz

Grizz
Confirming it's "in or around Chicago"

The observation in Post #3 is correct, the pic is taken in Monroe Harbor, Chicago IL. In the background, from L to R, is Adler Planetarium and The Shedd Aquarium.

As to the winch farm on the Yellow Brick Road III, that's another story...

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
As to the winch farm on the Yellow Brick Road III, that's another story...

Looks very IOR-ish (plus a few others in the background). I'm going to guess she's a mid-80s, maybe Nelson-Marek....

Zbingham

Member I
Looks very IOR-ish (plus a few others in the background). I'm going to guess she's a mid-80s, maybe Nelson-Marek....

Guy said that boat took second in the 79 Fastnet race. Was called "summer wind" or "summer wine" something like that. Aluminum hull, 40' made somewhere in Italy I think he said. No real interior, strictly racing. I guess he got tired of maintaining it, had a hard time trying to sell it, and eventually decided to scrap it when he moved from Chicago. Very interesting guy.