E35 and E38 Keel sumps?

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Hi again,

I posted such a wordy post on the keel bolts I thought I'd make this a separate post, since our attention spans are so short with the summer days being so long.

Anyway, when we dropped the keel this morning on our new-to-us 1984 E35 we found a huge hollow in the keel. It measured about 6" square and about 13" deep, and was under near where the mast would step. It was mostly filled with disintegrating foam and stinky water.

According to the guy at the yard, Ericson probably bought their keels "off the shelf", and the keel mold included a sump, which some boat manufacturers want, but Ericson did not use? I have no access to it from inside our boat, but do other people?

And did anyone else who has dropped the keel find this sump there, or is just our boat?

It should be the same keel design (deep draft) for the 35's and 38's, just that the 38's is a bit deeper.

I'm thinking of filling it with thickened epoxy.

I'll post some pictures later.

- Cory Bolton
1984 Ericson 35 #163

Cory B

Sustaining Member
More lead

I calculated that there should be space in there for close to a 100 lbs of lead shot mixed with epoxy in the cavity. It would be good place to add it as it is moderately low, and won't add any wetted surface.

Unfortunately, when we bought the boat in SF bay we were not able to sail it do to suspect standing rigging, a suspect mast step, a furler that didn't work, and of course the notorious SF Bay winds which we feared might move something from the "suspect" category to the "confirmed" category. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we don't know how tender she is, although from what most people say she might be helped with a little more ballast - would others do this if given the opportunity?

Thanks,
Cory Bolton
1984 Ericson 35
Portland, OR

Shadowfax

Member III
I would depending how she sits on her lines. A 100 lbs. isn't much and you would be putting it where it will do the most good

CaptnNero

Accelerant
pure lead

On the high end you could add 190 lbs of lead in that space with a custom pure lead plug faired in with filler.

FYIW - Retail lead goes for about $1/lb plus shipping. I once got over 300 lbs of lead wheel weights from a recycling center for $25 total. Sometimes you can get used wheel weights for free from tire centers. Then you need to smelt them but I can give tips for doing that cheaply too if you are interested. tip #1: do it outside

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Picture

Thanks for the ideas... I'll probably get on the phone tomorrow and figure out how to get the cheapest lead bits. I don't really want to melt them down myself or cast them, so I'll probably just mix them with epoxy.

In case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about, heres a picture of the sump... its about thirteen inches deep, and about 6 x 6 at the opening, tapering down quite a bit as goes down. It was previously filled with disintigrating foam...

- Cory

Attachments

• keelsump.jpg
    keelsump.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 161

stbdtack

Member III
Its easy to melt lead in a cast iron skillet on a camp stove or propane burner (outside and dont breathe the fumes). Just melt a few batches and dump them in the cavity..... Get some cheap leather welding gloves to hold the skillet.

Forget the epoxy.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Interesting. Pretty big -- keep in mind that epoxy of that volume might get pretty hot -- certainly hot enough to melt plastic...

Sven

Seglare
CoryBolton said:
I'm thinking of filling it with thickened epoxy.

Why fill it ? Can and does the bilge drain into the well ? If the bilge does drain into the well, is there a way to route a bilge pump hose into the well ?

Since I'm used to a bilge with no sump at all I'm jealous :)

-Sven

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Why fill it?

Sven,
I thought briefly about what you suggested, and opening up a hole in the boats bilge leading to the keels bilge. Unfortunately it right under the mast step, where I would be afraid to do anything that would weaken the boat. :(

Ben,
As much as your thoughts on melting lead is definitely superior to epoxy mixed with shot (in small batches), I think the boat yard would throw fits if they found out I was melting lead on the premises, and would probably put my boat in the water sans keel! :)

- Cory