E35-3 - Waterline Off or To The Bootstripe?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm getting ready to haul out my E35-3 to do the bottom again - and have always kept that space of gelcoat beneath the boot stripe clear (not painted) as that was the original design.

Several people have suggested I paint up to the bootstripe to raise the bottom paint above the "scum line". How many of you have done this - painted over that area just below your boot stripe?

Thanks,
//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Movin' up the Line...

I had to move the line up on our prior boat, a Niagara 26. First I brought the bottom paint up the the bottom of the stripe. Then I moved it again about another inch up, effectively thinning the stripe by almost half.
On the Olson 34, we have moved the paint up to the bottom of the stripe. I know of several different classes of boat that have had their bottom paint top moved up -- -- seems like a common problem.
Perhaps the builders like to use a DLW that does not account for normal addtions to the in-use weight, like drinking water, fuel, spares, cans of Dinty Moore stew, etc, etc.

:confused:

Loren

Brisdon

Inactive Member
When I did my blister job last year on our 35-2 I kept that damned little half inch of white gel coat under the boot stripe and that was a big mistake. This factory water line wasn't established for people with a lot of crap on their boats. I scrape that stripe every week with the edge of a credit card to get the marine growth off of it. Next time I haul, the bottom paint is going a third of the way up the boot stripe. So much for authenticity!