E35-3 Search for Starboard Water Tank

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
So now with us spending more time on the boat, and with a two year old on board constantly making messes, we found that our water supply is not enough. We currently have one 40 gal tank under the forward v-berth. There is a capped off connection in the starboard settee where another tank used to be, but a previous owner removed the tank. Our forward tank is a stainless tank, so I don't know if the original stbd tank was a stainless one or ronco one. Are there any other 35-3 owners that could provide some info on their stbd water tanks and setup? I am also not sure how the stbd tank was vented, the bow tank vents into the portside head sink. Thanks in advance!

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
We have 3 water tanks on our '86 35-3. V-berth, starboard at the fore end under the settee, port under the settee, aft of the waste tank. There's a manifold just ahead of the starboard tank for switching between the three. All three tanks vent through the head sink aux faucet. All three are stainless steel.

We're on the other end of the child arc, waiting for our first grandchild. A two y.o. on a sailboat! Respect!

Cheers, Jeff

Last edited:

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
We have 3 water tanks on our '86 35-3. V-berth, starboard at the fore end under the settee, port under the settee, aft of the waste tank. There's a manifold just ahead of the starboard tank for switching between the three. All three tanks vent through the head sink aux faucet. All three are stainless steel.

We're on the other end of the child arc, waiting for our first grandchild. A two y.o. on a sailboat! Respect!

Cheers, Jeff
Ours has the same setup as Jeff's, all three tanks are stainless steel, all vent in the head. V-berth tank is (I think) 40 gallons, starboard is 28 and port is 22. Water pump is bolted to the wall left of starboard tank. I'm not sure if that's how it came from the factory, or if one of the previous owners added one or two, since the boat has a fresh water, electric head.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
1694439904894.jpeg
Stainless tank. Pic from the 1st year we had it and were winterizing in the worst way possible. Have refined the procedure to avoid antifreeze in the tanks.
The large hose goes to the deck fill. The smaller hose to the right of it is the vent line. It runs through the vberth cabinets and back to the head sink where it tees into the line from the port tank. These connect to the small “faucet” which looks very similar to the foot pump faucets at the galley sink. I really want to flush them better as not so nice stuff went into the sink the first time we over filled the tank.
The horizontal tube comes from the tank selector valves, identical to the ice box drain valves. This line goes to the galley foot pump and potable water pump. Our pump is “conveniently” mounted in the Stbd lazerette on the engine side of the garbage can box. Minor boat yoga involved to replace it.

Chschaus

"Voila"
Have refined the procedure to avoid antifreeze in the tanks.
Curious how are you doing it now? I have always drained the tanks and then run antifreeze through the system till it is drained. In the spring I flush a few times, the first time using a cup of bleach. I have always only used the water in the tanks for washing, not for drinking.

Chschaus

"Voila"
We opted for the port and starboard tanks and use the space where the v-birth tank would have been for storage. Both tanks are SS and 40gal

Prairie Schooner

This is the manifold for switching tanks. I kinda think it's not original.
potable H2O manifold 8 sm.jpg

Like Randy's, our pump is in the engine compartment.

Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, that appears to be the same manifold that EY installed in our '88 O-34 to control our two water tanks. I like your labels!
Our pressure pump and manifold are under the galley counter. I hope to find room someday for a filter under there, but it's crowded. The refrigerator compressor is there (nowadays) also.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
This is the manifold for switching tanks. I kinda think it's not original.
View attachment 48123

Like Randy's, our pump is in the engine compartment.

Jeff
Ours is similar Jeff, but white with blue handles. And our labeling is little less sophisticated than yours. Just a black Sharpie used to write B, P and S. Show off. :) We have a small in-line filter connected ahead of the manifold.

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
Thanks everyone for the awesome responses. I do love the people on this forum. I was suspicious that it was a stainless tank, and everyone that has them proves that. We have the manifold connection in the starboard settee, I will have to check if it is two or three, but suspect only two. The third tank must have been an extra option?

Our water pump is also mounted on the starboard engine side of the lazerette wall. I have eyed it with suspicion, but it still currently works, and do not wish to figure out the boat yoga to replace it.

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author

Cheers, Jeff
She has loved being onboard and as with any two y.o. has no fear since she knows no better. I am excited to keep her enthused about sailing, it is so nice when you mention we are going to the boat and she just lights up with a smile.

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
Curious how are you doing it now? I have always drained the tanks and then run antifreeze through the system till it is drained. In the spring I flush a few times, the first time using a cup of bleach. I have always only used the water in the tanks for washing, not for drinking.
We pour the antifreeze into the tank, and then use the pumps to circulate it. In the spring we fill the tank with about 10 gallons, flush that all through, fill it full, flush all 40 gallons through the various faucets, showers, etc, and then refill with some chlorine in the tank (not a lot, something like 1 tbsp for the whole 40 gallons). Then we are ready. But we still don't drink it, we bring drinking water onboard separately.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
It is a replacement, but the previous owner did it. Maybe there's enough info on the sticker for the manufacturer to look up the design.

Chschaus

"Voila"
We pour the antifreeze into the tank, and then use the pumps to circulate it. In the spring we fill the tank with about 10 gallons, flush that all through, fill it full, flush all 40 gallons through the various faucets, showers, etc, and then refill with some chlorine in the tank (not a lot, something like 1 tbsp for the whole 40 gallons). Then we are ready. But we still don't drink it, we bring drinking water onboard separately.
That's the same as we do other than the Chlorine. The way I read your post I thought you weren't using antifreeze, that peaked my interest. Perhaps we will try the chlorine this spring.

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
That's the same as we do other than the Chlorine. The way I read your post I thought you weren't using antifreeze, that peaked my interest. Perhaps we will try the chlorine this spring.
We are on well water when we fill, so the water doesn’t come with any chlorine already in it. If there is any leftover glycol then it is a feast for things we don’t want, so the bleach keeps that from happening. If filling from town water with chlorine already added the. You might not have to add any, or at least less.

Prairie Schooner

Ours is similar Jeff, but white with blue handles. And our labeling is little less sophisticated than yours. Just a black Sharpie used to write B, P and S. Show off. :) We have a small in-line filter connected ahead of the manifold.
So maybe our manifold is original. It's really clean.
I can't take credit for the labeling as it came with the boat. But if there's any residual glory to bask in, I'm happy to do so. ;)

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
We empty the tanks and dry them out. We found a collapsible silicone funnel that fits in the tank discharge and insert a piece of 3/8“ poly tubing into the funnel creating a seal. Poly tube into the gallon of antifreeze and pump it through the system. run the tube dry and remove. Very small mess to clean up. Still have to rinse and shock the tanks in the spring, but not all of the hassle getting the antifreeze out of the tanks. Also bypass the water heater and blow it out and leave it open. Doesn’t freeze and no antifreeze it it.

Chschaus

"Voila"
We empty the tanks and dry them out. We found a collapsible silicone funnel that fits in the tank discharge and insert a piece of 3/8“ poly tubing into the funnel creating a seal. Poly tube into the gallon of antifreeze and pump it through the system. run the tube dry and remove.
No that's using your head, I'll have to try that this year. I also bypass the heater and drain it.