E35-3 Genoa lead cars

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have the original multi line Merriman genoa lead cars on my boat. I would like to swap them out with new ones that have bearings and possibly an adjustable car system. The problem I am running into is that all the cars I have found on the market today have 3/16" shoulders that go under the T track. With the molded in nonskid there is only room for 1/8" shoulders like on the Merrimans.

Does anyone know of replacements that will fit this boat?

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Garhauer

We replaced our with the stock Garhauer (1.25 inch?) cars with no problem. Hopefully Ericson didn't change too much between our model years...

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Tim,

I'm pretty sure it was the LLC-2UB. I bought 4 of them, one for each track (inner and outer). They slide back and forth fine... no binding. I'd guess that Garhauer uses the same car for all of them, but I don't know for certain. If you can get the right person on the phone they can be real helpful.

I really do like the double-lead cars, but ours were shot and new ones weren't in the budget. Plus with the double tracks I didn't really see the need for how we sail the boat.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Cory. I tried the LLC-2 but the shoulder on the car was too thick. It is a different car than yours though.

I am trying out a friend's Schaefer 32-98 tonight.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Tim,
I got a set of Garhauer genoa blocks with stainless 1/8" track slides. Look just like the LLC-2UB but with stainless bases. I ordered them at the Newport RI boat show, showed them the "LLC-2UB" type and told them I needed stainless bases. No problem, $150 for the pair. Screaming deal and they work very well. If your Merrimen's are shot/unusable I had my older Shaeffer's rebuilt (new sheaves) and you can borrow them while you wait for Garhauer. RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Great idea with the SS cars Rob. I still have not tried out the Schaefers yet but will soon. I shouldn't need any loaners as my Merrimans are still functional just not optimum for trimming.

Rob, if you get a chance, please measure how thick the SS is under the track.

Thanks