E35/3 diesel heater

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

Have any of the E35/3 owners installed a diesel heater on their boats? Currently I have an Espar forced air heater but I would prefer a free standing diesel heater as I hate the noise of the Espar. I was wondering if anyone had one bolted to the floor between the mast and the dinette cushion on the port side?

Thanks,

Steve Gabbott
E35/3
Silent Dancer
Vancouver, BC

wurzner

Member III
Steve,

I have a new Dickinson Newport with flue that I'm not likely to install. I want to go the way of forced air with an espar system like yours. Which do you have and how noisy is it?

thanks
shaun

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I never thought my Espar was very noisy... Is your's located back in the sail locker?

hodo

Member III
I have had Espars in two boats and did not have a noise problem. How and where is yours mounted? Harold

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We have an Espar D5LC on our 35/2 installed in the starboard lazarette above the shelf. I LOVE the whirring of the motor on "boost" setting because I know that my boat is just minutes away from being warm and toasty. I never find the sound obtrusive or annoying.

hodo

Member III
Oh no! Do you suppose I'm not bothered by the Espar because I am getting to be what my lovely direction teller calls an OLD FART ? [What else do you call her when she keeps suggesting where to go?]. Seriously, there is a whirr on the high or boost setting, but that diminishes soon as the heat comes up. If you want to hear a noisey heater, check out Webasto. Sounds like Boeing is right there. Mount the pump in a soft rubber sleeve, and you wont even hear the tick. Cheers and fair winds, Harold

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Espar

I just replaced the old worn out Espar with a new one. Yes, it sounds a bit like a jet engine reving up during the initial warm up but then it slows down to a maintenance speed. The noise doesn't bother me a bit and my boat babe (my lovely wife of almost 33 years) has a big smile on her face as she is a warm unit now when we are winter sailing. Went out last Sunday, nice steady 10 knots of wind and about 35 degrees F. The real captain kept nice and warm in the cabin at 68 degrees F. Yes, I know it is my job to keep her warm, but someone has to sail the boat!!!!

gabosifat

Member III
Diesel heater

Mine is in the cocpit locker but the fan noise coming through the ducting is irritating to say the least.

Steve

hodo

Member III
Are you going to Sydney for the rendevouz? It would be interesting to compare heaters and noises. Harold s/v Mischief Maker

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It would be interesting to compare ambient noise and whines/whirrs of the heaters at the rendezvous. Seems like we're predominantly an Espar crowd in the NW, but all heaters would be welcome. The objective method would include the use of a db meter. The subjective rating scale would have to include a breathalyzer test for each participant. The subjective test would be more fun, eh? :cheers:

I have a brand new Espar Hydronic with two heat exhangers in the cabin, making a total of four fans.