E35-2 Threading NMEA wire through mast/deck???

Aloha313

Aloha... after repeated and failed attempts to connect B&G wireless windvane unit to the Bluetooth controller and my Zeus3, I’ve decided to revert to a wired unit (WS310), but am having a helluva time threading the wire through the deck/mast.

Anyone out out there have similar experience and have wisdom to offer? I’m at a loss without doing major hole drilling. Shouldn’t be this hard...right!!!???

Thanks in advance. :)

supersailor

Contributing Partner
You should be able to take an existing wire, say the anchor light wire and attach the wind vane wire to it at the masthead and a new anchor light wire down from the mast head to the deck with it. The existing mast head light wire becomes spare wire and you also get a new anchor wire out of it. I don't know if the 35-2 has a wire tube but I know the 34-2 has one. It takes two people to do this job.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Mast Wiring Messenger Line

My rigger pulled a 1/16 inch diameter Dyneema messenger through the mast when I re-did my wiring. I've used it twice to pull additional wires, including new masthead wind sensor.

Mine line is this one from Yale:

http://www.apsltd.com/yale-cordage-ultrex-12-line.html

It's on sale at APS in Annapolis until Feb 15 (20% off), 160 pound breaking strength and total weight for 60 feet, ~ an ounce. One of the smarter $20 bucks I've spent on the boat.

My masthead end is tied with a bowline around the base of my Windex. Next time I have access at the masthead, I am going to add a UV sleeve over the exposed top 12 inches to prolong its' life.
The lower end exits the mast with the wiring bundle and is tied to a ring terminal at my mast connection block in the cabin overhead.

Mark

Bob Robertson

Member III
It's been a while since I've run a wire down the mast. The way I've done it was to tie a six inch piece of bike chain to a piece of nylon line.
The bike chain goes into the hole easily and provides enough weight to allow the line to be run down the mast. Then I used a piece of wire with a hook at the end to grab the bike chain at the bottom mast hole am to pull it through.