E35-2 Questions

pgadd

Member I
E35-2 Questions - Chain Plates; Rub Rails, etc.

There is a 1979 35-2 for sale in my marina. It almost lost the rig a while back when the stbd upper shroud pulled out of the main bulkhead. Practical Sailor mag says that rot in the main bulkhead can be a problem in the 35-2. Soooo . . .

Is this a widespread problem? How can you detect it? How do you reoair it, and how expensive is it to repair?

Also, this 35 has a keel stepped mast with what appears to be a connecting strap from the mast to the cabin top. I think the other 35's I've seen had deck stepped masts. Did Ericson change this? If so, what year and why?

This 35 has a raised teak rub rail instead of the usual rubbery looking one. It really dresses up the boat! Was this a factory option? If not, any ideas on who could retro fit one, and/or how much it would cost?

Final question - Anybody know of a surveyor on San Francisco Bay that is familiar with Ericsons, especially with the bulkhear issue above?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Chain Plate Discussions

Check out this earlier discussion on chain plate rot. . I think it may answer some of your questions. Also, try doing a search on 'chain plate' to see other, similar threads.

Also, that strap you mentioned is pretty common - it's there to help stop the coach roof from flexing (upward) too much when the shrouds 'squeeze' the boat during loading.

Don't know about the rub rails - mine are the aluminum variety that I thought were the standard - perhaps they were added (if so, take special care in looking at the joint from the inside to see what it looks like.

Costs on anything vary - so you'll really want to talk to a boat yard down there about it - and read up some on major repairs in glass (look at Casey's series on Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair).

Good Luck!
//sse