E35-2 Galley updates / redesign

p.gazibara

Member III
Mine is a solid tube from the starboard settee to lazarette. It passes below the icebox and come out in the lazarette.

-P

Coyote24

unrequested advice.

Hi,

My first post here on EY forum.

I cannot help myself, since you are going to all the trouble of re-building this yacht, why not do it so it meet building codes?
It will save you countless head hakes, make the boat safer, make it insurable, etc etc.
Follow the ABYC standards (American Boat & Yacht Council), buy the ABYC standards 'bible' it will be money well spent!

Sincerely,

Alain

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi,

My first post here on EY forum.

I cannot help myself, since you are going to all the trouble of re-building this yacht, why not do it so it meet building codes?
It will save you countless head hakes, make the boat safer, make it insurable, etc etc.
Follow the ABYC standards (American Boat & Yacht Council), buy the ABYC standards 'bible' it will be money well spent!

Sincerely,

Alain

Howdy,
I agree about following published standards for wiring, plumbing, and any other systems in general. It's smart to be safe and of course earlier to insure, too.
OTOH when it comes to the actual arrangement of the interior accommodations, you are free to put stuff most anywhere. (Just be aware that if you deviate too far from the"norm" you may harm your future resale value, too.

I am not trying to be flip, but from the early 70's when many builders put in a side galley, to the 80's when the galley layout moved aft and was all on one side or split... fad and fashion have been the main drivers of interior layout. :rolleyes:

Another example is the head compartment. There was a time when it was always forward, just before reaching the fore peak berth. Then in the mid 70's some builders started moving it aft by the companionway, and then it sort of migrated to either side of the aft part of the cabin area. We like having the head aft with an aft cabin opposite, and this has become the norm in the last 20 years. I imagine that this stuff will all change again..... in another 20 years!
:)

Cheers, and fair winds,
Loren

adam

Member III
Progress....

Now that the rain has finally stopped, I'm starting to make some rapid progress on my boat projects.The shelf behind the stove is a huge improvement.

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 24

adam

Member III
Yeah, that's it. Before directly behind the stove there was a metal plate cutting off a big empty area.

Now, instead there's a shelf with room for all of my baking pans, lids, etc. :)

mfield

Member III
Not that I want to alarm you but I think the metal plate was there to protect the hull from the heat generated from the back of the oven.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
OK, just keep the gimballed stove locked. If you go offshore, or want to cook under way, remove the shelf and clear the area to let it swing.

A gimbaled stove is a design luxury. They can't easily be retrofitted if the galley wasn't designed for one. They provide the only predictably level place to put anything down in a seaway.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I recently left the gimbal unlocked, accidentally, on a bumpy day. Turns out I don't have quite as much clearance as I thought! The stove actually jammed in an extreme position. In fact, it was more a problem with the gas fittings going straight out the back - I added a street ell. But of course, nobody in their right mind would be cooking in those conditions anyway. :rolleyes: Really.

adam

Member III
Im not worried at all about the heat.

This stove is designed to send heat up and forward. There is almost no heat immediately behind the stove, let alone where the hull is almost 12" behind it.

I also moved the stove forward about an inch from where I believe the original stove was. I've got pretty good clearance, and the stove doesn't hit the shelf until about a 45 degree angle of heel. I'll probably eventually upgrade the shelf with some sheet stainless steel in the front. But it's not the highest priority.

adam

Member III
Interesting, the standard stove has a heat/air vent on the rear of the oven.

The stove I got is a used Force 10. They made a nearly identical built-in version, and it obviously couldn't redirect all of the heat out the back. I guess it just make sense to build the same vent system for the gimbaled version which I have.

adam

Member III
The cupboard behind where the electrical panel once was is nearly done too. The only thing that remains is adding some sort of trim.

This 9" x 3.5' cupboard dramatically increases the amount of available space in the galley.

IMG_0708.jpgIMG_0711.jpg