E35-2 Exhaust

Leander

Member II
Exhaust system learning resources

Hi Brad,

Looks like you have gotten a lot of answers here. I still have not been down to my boat to take pictures. I do want to share a resource that has been great for me, if you happen to use reading as a problem-solving tool:

"This Old Boat", Don Casey, 2nd edition, 2010, pp 350-352. This has been my go-to book for most everything in my 5 years as an old boat owner. On this subject, he has great diagrams on p. 352 showing how far above or below waterline each component should be. I am not copying here for copyright reasons.

My system is very close to his middle diagram, with engine below waterline, muffler below engine, and water injection point also below waterline. I also put a ball valve at the stern exhaust through-hull that I shut off when sailing engine-off in following seas, to help avoid sea water back flow into engine.

Leander

Leander

Member II
Leander exhaust system

Hi all,

inspired by photos by others, I have loaded my exhaust schematic diagram, photos, and explanations to my blog on the site, "Journey of a new owner (Leander)".

As I tried to explain it all, I realized I do not understand why I have a muffler in the engine compartment and a separate Vetus waterlock further astern below the cockpit. Will be interested if anyone has any ideas. Does the waterlock decrease noise further? Maybe a free component that a P.O. just couldn't bear to let go?

Leander

admirals barge

Member III
exhaust

Greg,

Thanks! And sorry it took me so long to respond (I have been traveling).

In reviewing the Ericson manual, it seems I have the "original" configuration: water jacket under sole to behind cabin wall, hard piped up to a water jacket stand pipe (and only then does the exhaust and water mix). I tore into my system and it will need to be replaced. I fixed the sections that need immediate attention now.

So that brings me to the final fix in the Fall. I like your setup and I am contemplating doing something similar. I have one question, shouldn't your dry exhaust go up above the water line before going into the westerbreke mixer (the top of the engine being about 4-6in below waterline)? One idea I had was to take the hard pipe out of the engine block and up use that space where the shelf is next to the nav station (where your water hose is looped, but go higher) and box it in on the nav station side.

Thanks,

Brad
the wet exhaust goes up above the water line via an anti siphon line that is above the water line and then goes down into the elbow. if you look at the first picture you can see the hose in front of the elbow turns right and goes up to the anti-siphon valve. I have seen pictures where it was run up and behind the settee. I ran mine thru the chart holder next to the nav station. it goes up to almost the top of the settee back and then down to the elbow. its well above the water line which is about even with the quarter berth pad. I figured it was the shortest run. its a little noisy but tolerable.

bradh

Member II
Thanks for Pictures and Diagrams

Hi all,

inspired by photos by others, I have loaded my exhaust schematic diagram, photos, and explanations to my blog on the site, "Journey of a new owner (Leander)".

As I tried to explain it all, I realized I do not understand why I have a muffler in the engine compartment and a separate Vetus waterlock further astern below the cockpit. Will be interested if anyone has any ideas. Does the waterlock decrease noise further? Maybe a free component that a P.O. just couldn't bear to let go?

Leander

Leander -

Thanks so much for adding these to your Blog. I am getting started back on this project. I removed the old system at fall haul out and I am working a new design for this spring. It's fantastic seeing your haul number on diagram - even with boats that were built right next to one another, time has given us completely different exhaust systems.

I think the reason you have the muffler mounted on the engine is not for "muffling" but for water injection. To get the exhaust temp down before it enters the bilge. I am still trying to figure out how to do this and get the a loop up above the water line quickly.

Brad