E34 Pink Panther visit - what I learned (with pictures)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And I think it's fair to say that the earnest money is never forfeited. Meaning you can back out of a sale any time, even one moment before close, and without penalty.

It works because a buyer who surveys proves himself legit by paying for the haul and the survey. And it wouldn't be good business to punish him further for backing out. Oh, and the seller can back out at the last moment too, despite the survey cost, which has happened to me. When I threatened to sue, the broker said, "You can't really force somebody to sell you their boat."

Of course, the initial agreed price, subject to survey, can always be renegotiated if a major issue is found. But generally we expect to pay the initial price, not argue over a broken light bulb. That would be bad form, don't you know, old sport.

klb67pgh

Member III
Since you are open to that range of Ericsons, if you haven't looked already, there are several threads on the forum comparing E32s to E35s to E38s. It would be worth your time to look at those and consider if there are any features found in one and not the other that are essential to you (for example, the separate shower found in the E35; what dinette layout do yo want; do you prefer aft head as in the 32-200 and 38-200).

JohnW

I am a newbie who recently bought an E32-3.

I went through the find a boat, see the boat in person, ask for forum opinion, make an offer(deposit), survey/haul out/sea trial, ask for forum opinion again, finalize the deal. The entire process took about 4 weeks.

Before I made an appointment to see the E32-3, I browsed the various sailboat listing sites and craigslist to get an idea on current pricing and general boat conditions. I also watched all the videos on Christian Williams' youtube channel, and read as much of this forum as I can to understand the amount of time and work involved in maintaining an Ericson, or any older sailboat.

Through out the process I do have second thoughts. As a newbie there are simply too many unknowns to feel comfortable buying an almost 40 years old boat. However, at the end I did as much home work as I can. Even though that E32-3 is the only boat I saw in person, compared to other E32s in the area, it's a better value than other, thus satisfing my general criteria of avoid bad deal, not looking for the best deal, prefer a good deal, can live with an average deal.

bertboyer

Member I
Since you are open to that range of Ericsons, if you haven't looked already, there are several threads on the forum comparing E32s to E35s to E38s. It would be worth your time to look at those and consider if there are any features found in one and not the other that are essential to you (for example, the separate shower found in the E35; what dinette layout do yo want; do you prefer aft head as in the 32-200 and 38-200).
Good idea. I'd very much like to read about the comparisons, but it seems I'm not using the correct search terms. Can anyone point me to the thread where different Ericson's were compared?

Thank you!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
comparing E32s to E35s to E38s

Easy but not easy. Having owned a 32-3 and a 381, I'd say the difference is less than anyone would guess, and more subtle.
Both larger models have a shower stall. The 32-3 shower wets the head, which is designed for it. A shower stall is a pretty useless thing to have if you don't take a lot of showers.

The competing interior layouts excite the imagination and that's about all, for me. The -200s have head aft and an owner's cabin. The open layout has head forward and a much bigger V-berth. Both work. It's rarely a real choice, since two boats with competing layouts are seldom available to choose between.

By far the biggest factor, in my experience, is the stability of larger and heavier. The 32-3 is a dinghy, the 381 carries itself with more aplomb. When you step on the deck of a 32-3, the boat rocks. The 381 doesn't. It is similarly more stately in a seaway. But all are Ericsons, designed to heel, great to windward, and still twitchy relative to heavier, wider yachts.

Maintenance and monthly? A bit more slip fee, insurance, haul out. But if you need a new prop shaft, stove, chartplotter, running rigging--all boat bucks feel more or less the same. If you can afford one model you can afford any of them. In reality, many buyers can't afford any of them.

When I've said this in the past, 38 owners have emphatically dissented. I suppose what I'm really saying is that all such models ought to be considered, and perhaps any one of them can fit the need.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here is one thread with comparisons of several models: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/actual-berth-size-master-thread.7721/#post-90186
I know that Christian has a thread with cockpit lengths, also, but I do not have it bookmarked at present. My apologies.

As for comparisons of the 80's lineup of hulls, I view them as a family of very similar hull forms, each with an interior scaled to it. Bruce King was a master at designing a livable layout in 3 dimensions. Of course he was not the only such gifted architect, but was certainly in the top 5 or so. IMHO.
Our Olson 34 has a very livable interior, and the designer was not a "name" NA at all. George Olson.
My limited coastal deliveries in a 32-3 and a 38-200, left the impression that the larger one is more stable at sea befitting its displacement. Both have a "soft" motion in a seaway and are very comfortable compared to wider flatter-bottom boats that now dominate the "sailboat as a vacation home" market. That opinion is also worth $.02. :)

bertboyer

Member I
Thank you all for your comments. I can't express how much I appreciate them :)

Since my visit to the PP E34, I've been thinking a lot about that boat, and I started looking at others online. Ultimately, I feel like the PP has a beautifully well maintained interior, and lot of neglected maintenance/upgrades (sails, standing and running rigging, electronics, etc). I also discovered several other concerns that only add to the more significant lack of upgrades, and I'm just a newbie at examining boats! This is the first boat I have visited. While I loved the sailboat data, exterior lines, interior layout, and the obvious care that the owners put into maintaining a beautiful interior, I am feeling a strong urge to shop around more, and expand my search to include CA, WA, and OR.

Others have encouraged me to consider other designers (Cascades, C&C, Catalina and others). I'll have a look, and even try to sail on them if possible, but I am fixated on an Ericson and the outstanding support and knowledge I have received from members on this forum. It feels invaluable to me. I have learned so much in the last couple weeks. Thank you ALL!

I may ultimately come back to the PP E34 and make an offer contingent on a marine survey and sea trial, but I will always wonder what other boats were like where the owners mentioned a laundry list of upgrades and things they did to maintain their boats. Many really seemed to take pride in a well-maintained boat.

In the meantime, I'll start reading the links above, and if anyone knows of an Ericson 32-38 that is coming on the market and is located somewhere between San Diego and BC, please let me know. I'll be sailing, searching, reading old and new posts on EY.o, and learning as much as possible to inform my search and ultimate purchase. I am committed to owning an Ericson (hopefully) and sailing in the San Juan and Gulf Islands. Hopefully in the next year or two if things work out.

Thanks again everyone!!

Bert

Vtonian

E38 - Vashon
Well, you've got a solid $12.37 worth of good advice here already but I'll throw in my $.02 anyway, mostly about buying a boat, not about the condition of this one. They're all boats, they all cost too much and all have problems, you just don't want to get taken advantage of.

My apologies in advance for using up all the remaining internets...

My recent journey was based on an obsession with the E38x models first (quality of construction, performance, single-handing, beam, headroom, layouts) and budget second: didn't want any other make or size but was willing to consider any E38x, from a project to a cream puff, with a preference for an E381 based on its layout (forward facing nav and 'U' shaped galley, quarter berth, starboard berth) as long as the price was 'right'. For me, being at the end of my income growth potential years, that meant it had to be a good value.

The price being 'right' is the hard part because, obsession. I fell in love with almost all of them and quite a few were 'the deal of a lifetime'. But I set pricing based on looking at everything listed online for several months, which established that a good/fair price on a clean, solid FSBO E38x that should not (by survey result) need any significant work for at least several years would be in the $50k-$60k range. Not a concours example or heavily upgraded one but well cared for and ready to sail, with little more required.

If not FSBO, add broker overpricing and markup, so another $10k for the ‘convenience’.

Add another $10k if not already in the PNW: anything south of Portland is going to have to be shipped, outfitted or abused for the long/risky slog north. I watched the weather patterns almost daily for about a year and I never saw a predicted low-pressure system that overrode the north pacific high long enough to make it a cheap/easy sail up the coast. Harbor hopping doesn’t work reliably. I also considered boats on the east coast, including taking 4-6 months to purchase, outfit and sail home as a great adventure.

Ericsons seem to be cheaper elsewhere, in general but the cost of getting them back up here is a fact of life. Obviously, shipping costs for an 11' wide, 38' boat are more than for a smaller one but the 11' beam and overall weight of an E38x puts them into the next level for road regulations. I also seriously considered buying distressed ones on trailers that I could fly to and rent a truck to pull home, even to the extent of buying two: one to get the trailer with which to haul another, better one home and have a project in the yard, a boat on the water, and a trailer to haul and store either.

The point being, if you only want to sail, buy the boat that someone else has already paid the price to make/keep good: they are going to take the discount in their 'investments'.

OTOH, if you like working on boats, buy the boat that is priced so you can factor in the work, still enjoy the working/sailing lifestyle and not worry about the sunk costs to get to the creampuff of your dreams.

With that criteria of a good value to you, we can shop.

We know there is opportunity out there with both motivated sellers and disinterested owners, people for whom money isn't the issue. Either of those may be willing to let their possession go (real estate, auto, boat, etc) for 25% or more below market.

The boat I bought had been given to the PO by a friend after health issues caused it to be neglected for several years. It needed significant but not major repairs and the guy wanted the boat he cared about to go to someone he cared about.

When I bought it, the PO had wanted to keep it but life changed his plans so it went on CL. After my initial look at it, I made a low ball offer based on my evaluation w/o survey; that for me it was a project boat that would take a significant amount of time/money to get to the market value he'd asked (~$50k), and as a project boat, which I’ve owned before, and because I have the time, tools, skills, interest and enjoyment of abuse needed for project boats, that was its value to me.

My offer was about half his ask and FWIW, half of asking price seems to be a rough starting point for these types negotiations, I guess based on ~25% off for their emotional attachment, 25% for things the PO is either ignorant of or hoping you'll overlook, and 25% because buying a boat is business and in business, you make your money when you buy. Somewhere in that is a reasonable justification for a ~50% initial offer but ask nicely and do be prepared to duck.

The point is, you're eliminating firm price sellers. Motivated sellers are out there but you have to work to find them and be first in line when the stars align. Sometimes it's a sleeper no one knew about you find through a friend. Sometimes you're first to respond to an ad or the first really serious person to call (there's a *LOT* time wasters out there). Sometimes, a holdout can’t wait any longer and you just happen to be the next caller.

Timing is everything if you're seeking opportunity. OTOH, for my last car purchase timing was not on my side, I needed a car quickly and couldn't wait for opportunity. I analyzed the market to determine a fair price including reasonable profit for the dealer, found the make/model I wanted nearby, told them I'd pay $X dollars out the door and not a penny more, listened to them whine for 20 minutes and drove the car away at my price. In negotiating, walk-away power is everything, and they who fall in love lose most.

You could also say that the year and a half I looked at boats before I found mine had a cost too, maybe $10k to get on the water a year earlier.

Everyone's already said all boats are likely to have some surprises, even after a quality survey, because some things you can't detect without unreasonable costs, so just don't put your last penny into the purchase. I don't think anyone has really mentioned a specific dollar amount of the annual cost of owning a boat, but a boat yard owner told me a long time ago to add $100 per foot per year to the cost of a cheap boat I wanted to buy, and when asking him what he thought about that this time, he laughed and said more like $1k per foot per year. As alarming as that sounds, TCO includes the lifecycle costs, including good years and bad, and $1k/ft/yr is probably not an unreasonable upper end number to try to beat.

Also, the first thing you need to know before buying a boat is where you're going to keep it.

Take a knowledgeable friend along, someone not wearing rose colored glasses. Among the best advice from my friend was, 'it's overbuilt, it’ll sail fine as is, don't go trying to make a fine yacht out of her, have fun, do what's needed as needed, be sure you spend more time sailing than working'. I tend to want to make everything perfect and he knows that. Every time I look at my boat, his words come to mind and I immediately have way more fun, which is after all the point.

Last note, when negotiating, I always start with conveying that I'm not trying to insult or offend, because many people are sensitive about money. I'm just conveying my budget, and if they happen to be at a point where they're be willing to consider something in that range, I'd love to see if we can work out something (indicating I'm not a hard ass about my offer). I usually close with that I'm serious, prepared, committed, won't dink around, and will care as much as they did about their baby. Remember, they're just words, people may or may not choose to be insulted but 'no' doesn't change anything.

The first response I got from the PO was literally, 'no', period. I let that sit for a week and followed up with a more detail about what I saw wrong with the boat and also that if he'd meet my price, I'd make it 100% easy for him, cash, fast, no questions, no survey. No response. I walked away. A month later, he pinged me back and said if I'd come up $2,700 on my offer, which would equal the price of another dive boat he wanted for his business, he'd sell it to me, "frankly, because you were the only person who I felt really understood what they were getting into". I was there the next day, cash in hand and drove it away without even raising the sails to look at them. I knew it was a neglected old boat with a ton of upgrades that would need work and have surprises but was at a price point where it wouldn't hurt, mostly because I trusted the Ericson quality for the good bones but also because he’d demonstrated his integrity. He cared more about the boat he loved, and had gotten from someone else who'd loved it enough to give it away, and wanted to see it go to someone who would make her lovable again.

It probably didn't hurt that in the fall, the fair-weather sailor market/season is over, and I believe many people are looking at renewing their annual slip agreement.

If you're looking for narrow criteria opportunity, prepare to spend as much time as it takes to get the timing right. If you just want to be a boat owner, remember, buying them is easy, getting rid of them is hard, unless you want to sell significantly below market price. That's a sword that can cut either way: it can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on whether you’re the buyer or the seller and how long you can hold out for the right opportunity.

Just don't be someone else's low hanging fruit and you'll be fine.

HTH, I'll STFU now.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This Olsen 34 looks interesting and worth a call or look maybe.

I am recalling that Valhalla belonged to one of our site members a number of years ago. It sure looks clean in the pix, and hugely cleaner than was our Olson when we bought it.
Very similar layout to the E-34-2, but smaller (due to a big difference in displacement)
It will have 6'2" headroom, and that has been a perfect minimum-fit for me for the last 30 years.
If you want to visit my O-34 at RCYC, it's docked about 30 feet away from Rick's Merit. If you are interested, and want to see one up close.
Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Loren, I love the width of the side decks on that Olson 34, are they big as they look in the pics or is that just the angle ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, I love the width of the side decks on that Olson 34, are they big as they look in the pics or is that just the angle ?
They are indeed wide, but then the side decks on the E-38 and E-34 I have been on have seemed wide and easy to transit. One thing that is not readily apparent in photos is the slight crown to the Olson side decks. By comparison the EY boats have nearly flat decks and are a bit easier to walk on -- but...... I would not try to walk forward on the low side on most any boat when heeled and driving to weather! Especially on our Olson.
That 'crown' adds strength to the structure, tho. It also adds some inside headroom without displaying a tall cabin side. Boat design, when done right, is complicated. (imho)
Just another feature that can differentiate designs without casting dispersions on them.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I would not try to walk forward on the low side on most any boat when heeled and driving to weather!
That's what toe rails are for ! My side decks are great especially for a 30' boat but those look next level. I can see the crown now that you mentioned it.

bertboyer

Member I
I am recalling that Valhalla belonged to one of our site members a number of years ago. It sure looks clean in the pix, and hugely cleaner than was our Olson when we bought it.
Very similar layout to the E-34-2, but smaller (due to a big difference in displacement)
It will have 6'2" headroom, and that has been a perfect minimum-fit for me for the last 30 years.
If you want to visit my O-34 at RCYC, it's docked about 30 feet away from Rick's Merit. If you are interested, and want to see one up close.
Cheers,
Loren
Visiting your O-34 would be great. I'll let you know the next time I'm at RCYC. Hopefully Tuesday nights!

JohnW

During the final week of my E32-3 purchasing process, inundated by thoughts of all the potential deferred maintenance/repair issues, I seriously considered walking away and start fresh by looking at that Olson 34, which happens to be in the adjacent marina. I also considered the E35-3 up in SF Bay.

The E35-3 is nicely equipped and I like the idea of a separate shower area but the cost and logistic of surveying then transporting it to LA from SF is simply too daunting for this newbie. The Olson 34 has lower PHRF rating, but its interior looks more spartan and I'm starting to prefer having a dinette. However, that's a preference not grounded by any real world experience.

At the end I figure most ~40 year old boats will have similar issues. Unless I quadruple my budget, if not more, I'll most likely end up where I am at, regardless of which boat I look at. Furthermore, if I look at sailing as something I want to do well into my own sunset, I'll have to face those same maintenance/repair issues sooner or later.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
comparing E32s to E35s to E38s

A shower stall is a pretty useless thing to have if you don't take a lot of showers.
It does pull double duty as a great storage area. :) And though we don't take a lot of showers, the ones we have usually come after a long day of sailing, when the desire to dinghy ashore for one is underwhelming. The built-in shower seat is a godsend.

Another thing I'll add about Ericsons is that without fail, wherever we cruise, someone comes up to us and mentions how beautiful the boat is. We get a lot of "they don't make them like this anymore," "this has such beautiful lines," "what kind of boat is this?" I understand that shouldn't be the primary criteria for purchasing a boat, but it's nice to hear, and never fails to make me think we made the right decision. Good luck with the search.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
It does pull double duty as a great storage area. :) And though we don't take a lot of showers, the ones we have usually come after a long day of sailing, when the desire to dinghy ashore for one is underwhelming. The built-in shower seat is a godsend.

Another thing I'll add about Ericsons is that without fail, wherever we cruise, someone comes up to us and mentions how beautiful the boat is. We get a lot of "they don't make them like this anymore," "this has such beautiful lines," "what kind of boat is this?" I understand that shouldn't be the primary criteria for purchasing a boat, but it's nice to hear, and never fails to make me think we made the right decision. Good luck with the search.
I have to say that we’ve had many comments from strangers walking the docks, at our home port on the Chesapeake Bay or when we’re at a transient slip, asking what band boat we have an how ”lovely“ (yes, big old sailors have used that exact word) she looks. Many, surprisingly to me at least, are unfamiliar with the Ericson line. As for showering on board anyone with a E32~3 like ours knows how small the wet head can be. 98% of the time we shower on shore but after a long hot day, and before enjoying some adult beverages and dinner at anchor, even a hot shower in a smaller head is refreshing on a warm summer night. You just have to leave your thoughts outside of the head because there’s no room for them when showering. ;)