E34 Outhaul

Shadowfax

Member III
Greetings,

On my ca 88, E34, the outhaul in my Keynon boom is a wire to line affair. However the wire, for some unknown reason, is steel, not stainless steel and is now looking like it would like to break, complete with meat hooks. Why they, or Ericson [probably Ericson] would do this is another subject, but this looks like a simple affair to remedy. Has anyone replaced the outhaul? If so, can I do an all rope replacement? Is there a mechanical advantage [like in the topping lift] hidden in the boom that I’m not aware of?

Thanks

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I redid mine using spectra and crystalline. Replaced the blocks to go up to 8:1 purchase. Now the outhaul can be adjusted by hand under load easily. OEM setup probably is 3:1 or 4:1 with 2 small fiddle blocks inside your boom. You can simply replacethe wire with line but you will need to use a small diameter like 3/16 line to fit the blocks well, and if you do that you will want to go with something strong like spectra or vectran. If you do that you will want to splice on some cover where the line is exposed to the sun. Thats why I went to upgrading the whole purchase while I was there. See my thread on the project in here somewhere under E 38 vang or outhaul purchse or something like that. Of course you could simply replace the wire with new stainless wire and a few nicopresses too...