E34-II Spade Anchor Fit Question (from a new owner)

bkuchinic

Member II
Hello all,

I'm a new Ericson owner, and interested in purchasing a Spade anchor (model S80 or S100) for my E34-II. The boat is equipped with an anchor roller. Can anyone tell me how to determine if the anchor will fit securely on the anchor roller without damaging the hull? Unfortunately trying one on for size is not an option because there are no Spade dealers anywhere near me in Chicago.

Question 2: I have in mind using about 35' of chain spliced to 150 to 200' of nylon rode. Will the rode fit in the shallow anchor locker, and if not what is the best way to keep it ready for deployment?

Thank you!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
To check the fit of a new or potential new anchor I have downloaded an anchor pattern or profile document from the anchor manufacturers (or dealers) website. In my case, I have a new Rocna and I have to make modifications for it, so I printed the PDF file actual size and cut out a pattern in 1/4" Starboard which is a stiff plastic sheet material. Any thin plywood or composite material that is reasonably stiff will do. See the attached pics.

As you can see I have some work to do to make that Rocna fit. Another option is to check around the marina and see if someone has one just like the one you want and ask if you can borrow the anchor for an hour or two. Shipping an anchor is expensive. Shipping one back is worse.

20160828_Rocna_15_Profile01-small.jpg20160829_135840-small.jpg

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Question 2: I have in mind using about 35' of chain spliced to 150 to 200' of nylon rode. Will the rode fit in the shallow anchor locker, and if not what is the best way to keep it ready for deployment?

It will fit with no problem. I have 50' of chain and about the same amount of line. I use a claw (Bruce 15kg) which is the preferred anchor on Lk Champlain. I can't imagine that Lk Michigan is that much different.

bkuchinic

Member II
E34-II Spade Anchor Fit Question

It will fit with no problem. I have 50' of chain and about the same amount of line. I use a claw (Bruce 15kg) which is the preferred anchor on Lk Champlain. I can't imagine that Lk Michigan is that much different.

Thank you very much Tom, maybe I should consider 50' of chain too. Would you tell me if you have and use a windlass or is that setup easy enough to handle manually?

Loren sent me a copy of a listing for a 1991 E34 that he was looking at, and it included a picture of the anchor roller that is on my boat, equipped with a similar anchor.

Brad

IMG_0985.PNG

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Thank you very much Tom, maybe I should consider 50' of chain too. Would you tell me if you have and use a windlass or is that setup easy enough to handle manually?

Loren sent me a copy of a listing for a 1991 E34 that he was looking at, and it included a picture of the anchor roller that is on my boat, equipped with a similar anchor.

35 feet should be enough. I got a deal on half of a 100' piece which is the only reason I had 50'. I had lived a long time with 30' until I put in a windlass and needed new chain to fit the gypsy. I got the windlass because I was getting a little long of tooth and was looking to the future. The future got here and I am glad to have it, but it's not really necessary. 35' of chain isn't that heavy in water.

Google and I found dimensions for Spade anchors: https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/anchor-dimensions-chart

That said, Lake Champlain where I sail was a Great Lake for a few weeks back in 1998 so how much different can it be from Lk Michigan? I'd check out what others are using before investing in an expensive anchor. Claws work really well where I am.

Here is a pic of my claw on the roller.

Attachments

• Dock guards 06 003 A.jpg
    Dock guards 06 003 A.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 148

Jason G

Member II
I switched from a 33lb original Bruce with 35' of 5/16 G4 chain to a 33lb Rocna and 70' of 5/16" G4 chain. More chain helped for sure. Most of the places I anchor in Puget sound are between 15-30' deep at low tide. When I'm in deeper water and at a 5:1 scope or more I add a 15lb Kelket to the anchor rode. Now I need an anchor riding sail to keep the boat from dancing so much in open anchorages. I've got a manual windlass that I use to break the anchor free sometimes but otherwise I kinda like the hand over hand retrieval and coiling of rode in the locker.

-Jason

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I switched from a 33lb original Bruce with 35' of 5/16 G4 chain to a 33lb Rocna and 70' of 5/16" G4 chain. More chain helped for sure. Most of the places I anchor in Puget sound are between 15-30' deep at low tide. When I'm in deeper water and at a 5:1 scope or more I add a 15lb Kelket to the anchor rode. Now I need an anchor riding sail to keep the boat from dancing so much in open anchorages. I've got a manual windlass that I use to break the anchor free sometimes but otherwise I kinda like the hand over hand retrieval and coiling of rode in the locker.

-Jason

No windlass, but I can testify that an anchor sail rigged from the back stay almost Totally (!) stops our boat from 'sailing' back n forth when anchored.
Several pix of anchor sails in this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...gs-Wildly-at-Anchor-in-a-breeze&referrerid=28

-Loren