E34 Fuel Tank Replacement

Brookelise

Member II
Has anyone here replaced the fuel tank on the Ericson 34-200? As some with Ericson 34s might know, there's apparently an issue getting the tank through the companionway. A corner of the tank must be removed, and that has to be incorporated into the dimensions of the new tank. This was discussed at some point in the distant past here, but I can't find the posts.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Has anyone here replaced the fuel tank on the Ericson 34-200? As some with Ericson 34s might know, there's apparently an issue getting the tank through the companionway. A corner of the tank must be removed, and that has to be incorporated into the dimensions of the new tank. This was discussed at some point in the distant past here, but I can't find the posts.

A friend of mine with a 38-200 had to remove his tank (same location under the aft berth top) and I recall that he had to have a corner of the tank cut off. The problem he was solving was a corrosion-caused leak in the lowest forward corner, IIRC.
He said it was a challenge to get the tank out. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

ps: similar tank layout in some photos in this thread about an E-38.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ort-in-the-bilge-Fuel-tank-leak&referrerid=28

Last edited:

andy beach

Member I
we replaced ours a couple of years ago and the tank fit out through the companion way like it was designed that way. :) Good Luck.1990 E-34.

Brookelise

Member II
Fuel Tank: Thank you

Thank you so much for the information about the fuel tank. So maybe it can be removed without cutting. We shall see.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you have an original fuel hose, this might be a good time to replace it.

"Plus One" as they say on the internet.
Change out the engine supply hose from the tank and also the return hose.
And... the big hose to the deck fill and the vent hose too.

Loren

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I'm in the process of replacing my hoses. The fuel filler hose on my tank is an odd size; 1 5/8" I.D. Has anyone found a source for that size filler hose? What is a reasonably priced outlet for any of these hoses?

markvone

Sustaining Member
I used Go2Marine a lot.

Keith,

I have replaced almost all the hoses in the last 4 years. One of the places I got consistent lowest price from was Go2Marine.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/243083F/trident-327-series-type-a2-ce-fuel-fill-hose.html

Looks like they only sell the Trident 327 size 1 5/8" in the 12.5 foot length box and not by the foot.

They don't carry the Shields in 1 5/8". It does look like the Shields is cheaper.

I would Google "Trident 327 hose" or "Shields 355 hose" and see who has it cheapest in the box and/or by the foot in your size.

I generally prefer Trident hose over the more common Shields, but for a short straight run like the fuel fill I would go for Shields if it was cheaper or the only one available by the foot.

Good hunting,

Mark