E34 buying advice

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am going to look at an E34 this weekend:egrin: and would like to do as much of a survey before I hire a professional. I bassically want to possibly eliminate this boat before I pay for the surveyor. If it passes my exam then I will get a professional survey.

So here is the question: What are some of the major issues I mey run into on one of these boats? I am aware of a possible problem with delamination of the cabin sole around the mast. What else should I look out for?

Thanks for your help
Tim R.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Year? Model?

It would be helpful to know whether you are looking at a late-70's 34 or a 34/200 from the 80's.
Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Hey guys - There is a 32-200 and a 38-200, but no 34-200. It is just the "34". The 70's vintage 34's had a suffix, a "T" and an "R".

I guess I just like swimming up hill. :D

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Right again, Tom.
I tend to group the "200 series" of 80's Ericsons together, with their common aft-head and aft-stateroom layout. They did not name the later 34 that way, just the 32 and 38.
It serves as a sort of shorthand to identify interior layout and era, for some of us... :rolleyes:

Last year a nice-appearing mid-80's E-34 changed hands in the Seattle area for around 65K. Nicely appointed boats, and they keep their value.

Loren

escapade

Inactive Member
Fwiw

Tim
We bought Escapade in 2002. She is a 1988 vintage 34, hull #265. I'll give you a rundown on what we have dealt with in 4 years.
As you noted the cabin soles tend to rot/delaminate around the mast base. This is more a cosmetic problem rather than structural as the TAFG carries the loads rather than the sole. The spar on ours was 3'6" short of standard so if performance is an issue I would recommend a quick measure (P dim. is 39'). Remember this was sold as a fast 34 and they are if you have the whole rig! THe bottoms seem to either need to fixed or have been repaired for osmotic blistering. Everyone we looked at had blisters to some degree. (We have been blister free for 3 years now!!) Look for deck leaks around the chain plates & stanchion bases. Close look at latch on anchor locker where it dog's into deck. Leaks around ports & in aft cabin. Steering cables. Clamps on thru hull connections. Cutlass bearing. Close look at sea hood corners where traveler attaches. They tend to pull the bolt heads through the glass and cause cracks & leaks. Standing rigging & life lines especially if a salt water boat. Rebuild winches. Check mounting tab on fuel tank (they are rather flimsy and tend to break allowing the tank to move.
Basicly everything you'd expect to find on an 18 year old boat. These are all things we have fixed ourselves. Not that difficult to do just takes some elbow grease. Are we happy with the boat. YES!!!!! Would we do it again? It depends. We paid $50,000.00 rather than $65,000 to $70,000 and with a new suit of racing sails and all the materials have put less than $10,000 into her (plus our labor). What we are ending up with is a boat that will be worth top dollar if we should decide to sell her and a very nice & reliable cruiser/racer to enjoy. (This is my 3rd Ericson, both of the previous boats sold to the first looker for over top blue book price)
Hope this helps you and gives you an idea of what you might expect. Good luck on your boat hunting and keep us posted on your progress.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

kevin81

Member II
Tim:
I bought my E34 in 2002. It is a 1989, hull #299. Several items had been upgraded in 2000 and 2001 (prior to my purchase) including new sails, a new bimini, new batteries, and the alternator was rebuilt. Some of the upgrades I made was to replace the seacocks, replace the battery charger, amd install an anchor wash down pump and piping. The only upgrade that was required was the seacocks as one was leaking.
Three items are on the replacement list - replace the cabin sole, replace or rebuild the fixed ports, and replace the standing rigging. The cabin sole was damaged not by water leaking near the mast but was caused by the damage to the rubrail. Water leaked through the screw holes and ran on the inner hull to a point near the starboard ice box.
Overall, I am very happy with the boat. For the size (34 ft), it is very roomy below and easily sailed.
Good luck and hope the survey goes well!
Kevin

tramp

Member I
I bought my 34 in 1993, it was a new, never in the water 1990 model cought up in the demise of Ericson. I have had good luck with the boat and it is easy to sail solo. There are a few issues though; if you need to replace the muffler, you need to be a circus performer. I think they started with this component then built the boat around it. Any thing that needs repair from the starboard sail locker is difficult. The other replies are also true, if you have any leaks, trace it down to a stantion on deck. I would suggest to have the boat gone over with a fine tooth comb by a professional to be safe. Good luck with it, the 34 is a good boat.