E34-2 Outhaul and Topping Lift Line Specs.

JSM

Member III
The outhaul and topping lift lines on my E34-2 need to be replaced. They are of the wire to rope type. I have gone thru the owners manual and all the paperwork that came with the boat and cannot find any thing on what the size and length of the wire and rope should be.
Also , has anyone gone with straight rope replacements ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does your boat actually have a line (or wire to line) boom topping lift? (just curious -- our '88 came with a rod vang). We do, however, still have the wire connection for the outhaul and that goes to a multi-part rope tackle inside the boom.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Spectra works to replace wire leaders.

The stuff is fairly easy to work on if you pull the boom ends and pull everything out. It's easiest to take the boom home, but I have done it all on the boat. 50-second Video clip:

Last edited:

JSM

Member III
Thanks guys, The boat came from the factory with a wire vinyl coated toping lift attached to a wire to rope control line in the boom. My outhaul controll line jammed up this fall when I was removing the main for winter storage. I took the boom home , removed the end cap and after clearing out a few old bird nests I was able to familiarize myself with the inner workings of the topping lift and outhaul control lines. Both lines are original and while they are functional they are in pretty bad shape where they exit the mast and could use replacing.
I am thinking of replacing them with some wire to rope halyards that are in stock at WM but need to know the lengths of both the wire and rope to see if the halyards are compatable or else maybe go with all rope lines.
I was hoping to get the specs on these lines so that I wouldn't have go to the yard and pull the lines to measure them.
Christian, did you replace the wire to rope set up in the boom with Spectra as well and if so what size ?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, the topping lift is now all 1/4"Spectra, no wire leader. The rigger was adamant that Spectra could go through the boom-end turning block as well as the former wire leader did, and would not suffer chafe. So far, so good.

Inside boom purchases for TL and outhaul are 7/16 and 3/8 double braid. They're easier in the hand than skinny Spectra.

rose rigging Capture.JPG

JSM

Member III
Thanks Christian. Good to know, will pull the boom apart tomorrow and decide what to replace.

frick

Member III
i did away with my topping lift and installed a garhauer boom vang. one the best upgrades.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I ditched my topping lift, too, but went with a boomkicker. No regrets.

i also switched to an all double braid line for the outhaul and replaced the internal blocks (add one sheave per block for simplicity so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel) so as to add purchase. It is much easier to tension the foot of the main with the added purchase. Don’t forget that to add purchase you must add to the length of the line, if you do this.
:geek:

JSM

Member III
Thanks Keith, I really like the idea of adding purchase to the outhaul. Did you replace the fiddle block with a side by side triple sheve and the single with a side by side double sheve ?

Last edited:

EGregerson

Member III
I spliced a messenger to the end of my out haul; pulled it thru; then measured it. spiced new one to the messenger; then pulled that thru.

JSM

Member III
Thanks EGregerson, thats what I ended up doing. Was hoping to save a trip to the boat yard and have the new line with me when I went. While digging thru my spares I found a fiddle block with a becket on it and swapped it out with the single block on the outhaul so that I now have a five to one purchase.