E34-2 Dodger designs

TimTimmeh

Member II
Calling out to Ericson 34-2 owners, does anyone have a dodger design that doesn't interfere with the cabin top winches?
Mine blocks both halyard winches and it drives me crazy.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
The dodger on my 87 E34 does not block the 4 winches on the cabin top but I cannot fully rotate the winch handles a full circle. I generally use the starboard jib winch outside the dodger to raise the main, it is much larger than the winch under the dodger and I can rotate the handle a full circle. Once the main is fully up, I switch the halyard to the winch under the dodger to free up the outside winch for the jib sheet.

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
Like HerbertFriedman I cannot fully rotate my outside winches with a winch handle because of the dodger. We have a furling jib and we raise the jib once or twice a year, so clearance is not a big problem.

I raise the main at the mast. We have Tides SailTrack, so I can get all but the last foot raised that way. But the best feature is a 2-1/2” cam cleat mounted on the mast, about 5-1/2’ above the deck and in line with where the main halyard exits the mast. After raising the main, I clip the main halyard into the cam cleat to hold it. Then I go to the cockpit, pull the loose halyard line into the cockpit, and wind the main halyard onto its winch. When I start tensioning the halyard with the winch, it pops out of the cam cleat and I finish raising the main the last foot.

bmills

Our dodger has a hard top with five canvas panels around it. The side panels can be removed to allow full use of a winch handle on all four of the winches on the cabin. The dodger still provide good weather protection without the sides on. When the sides are on, they impede the winch handles from making a full rotation.

The other issue you should consider is use of the clutches. Make sure the front panels have openings or space to accommodate opening and closing all of the rope clutches without interference or damage to the Strataglass. I am still working on a solution to that problem for my dodger.

The pictures below are the best I can find at the moment. If it would be useful, I can take and send additional photos and/or a video.

031C0A45-7EFB-47A6-9AB0-3BC87252C829.jpeg
Side panels and support locations.

4D5CC09E-EEB1-47A3-BC19-3D11CA19D9EF.jpeg
Side panels off so winch handle can make a full rotation.

7AB3A47C-99D1-40F4-8C9A-93D4842BE9CA.jpeg

Last edited:

TimTimmeh

Member II
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of idea I am looking for: a way to have a removable panel that allows full rotation. In my case a support frame cuts right through where the handle needs to be, so I am thinking of ways to change the location. I see on this setup the frame extends back into the cockpit combing and the support bar is quite horizontal, giving clearance to the winch handles.
I know what you mean about the clutches, they are a tight fit with the handles released and rub up on the bottom of the dodger, I Imagine they could be mounted aft a touch, but maybe just using some heavy vinyl rub patches over the glass where the handles touch would be easier.

phildogginit

Member II
I have a soft dodger on my 87 e34-2.
I can't rotate the outboard winch handles fully around but it doesn't really bother me.
The six clutches open backwards (?). The dodger has a little "box" to accomodate the reef line clutches.
Photo attached.
cabintop.jpg