E32 Prop Nut to Rudder Distance

SeaDog

Member II
Can anyone tell me the distance from the end of the prop nut to the leading edge of the rudder on an E32 (1978)? If anyone could make a quick measurement, I would appreciate it. I believe that my shaft is to far aft after an engne replacement.

Kirby
Ericson 32, Alamitos Bay (Long Beach), CA
:esad:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
strut to prop

When I replaced the prop shaft last winter Cook's Marine in Deale told me that the correct spacing should be between the aft end of the strut (cutless bearing) and the forward end of the prop. The distance should be no more than the diameter of the prop shaft. For my boat that was 1".

windjunkee

Member III
Kirby,

I have a 32-2. I have modified the rudder, so my own measurements won't be standard. I can tell you though that the straightline distance from the tapered end of the shaft to the rudder (noting that the shaft is angled), is approximately 10 inches. The distance between the butt end of the prop and the strut should be no more than 1 1/2 times the shaft diameter.
I know this because I bought a Gori folding prop 11 inches overall length when in folded position and came in contact with the rudder (about 1/2 inch overlap). I had to return it.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 hull #134

CaptnNero

Accelerant
The mechanic in Deale, MD told me that the no more than 1 X shaft diameter ratio was to prevent vibration and fatigue on the shaft and cutless bearing, not just clearing the rudder. There are other issues about having a certain distance for the blade tips to clear the hull and prevent turbulence and vibration as well as having enough clearance from the rudder.

windjunkee said:
Kirby,

I have a 32-2. I have modified the rudder, so my own measurements won't be standard. I can tell you though that the straightline distance from the tapered end of the shaft to the rudder (noting that the shaft is angled), is approximately 10 inches. The distance between the butt end of the prop and the strut should be no more than 1 1/2 times the shaft diameter.
I know this because I bought a Gori folding prop 11 inches overall length when in folded position and came in contact with the rudder (about 1/2 inch overlap). I had to return it.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 hull #134

SeaDog

Member II
Lacking proper knowledge

I am more than a little embarased by my lack of knowledge re the appropriate distance between the prop and cutlass bearing but then... I am even more saddened by the lack of knowledge shown my my mechanic when he replaced the engine and by the yard when they pulled the shaft to replace the cutlass bearing. This is but one more case where the owner/skipper should not assume that the mechanic or the yard know what they are doing.

Kirby