E32-3 Rig Spinnaker Halyard in port or stbd mast sheave

Status
Not open for further replies.

newgringo

Member III
Our 1986 E32-3 does not have a spinnaker halyard. And I want to rig one in order to fly a asymetrical spinnaker. Presently there is 3 forward masthead sheaves with the roller furling jib using the one in the center. That leaves me having to choose the port or stbd. Is there any reason to choose one side or the other? Planning on using 3/8 inch line. Thanks-Jerry in Puget Sound, WA

e38 owner

Member III
3 halyards

We have all three halyards rigged.
The reason mostly when racing is that you have to have the spinnaker halyard clear.
Thus if you want to raise the chute before you lower or furl the headsail it is easier to take the windward halyard around the bow to keep it clear as opposed to taking the leeward halyard around the back of the sail. If you take the leeward halyard around the bow it will be behind the headstay or furler.

stvsem

halyard sheaves

do your sheaves look like this???
i should add a few details. this is a kenyon spar on our 30+. i'm the 3rd owner. the previous owner never flew the spinnaker. from what i've heard the halyard running through the port sheave on my mast (with ss tube) is the spinnaker halyard. the starboard sheave is the #2 genoa halyard. is this correct??? i've been having some issues launching the chute on the port side. the halyard binds when the head is about 8 ft from the sheave. any suggestions on what may cause this issue?

IMG_0598.jpgIMG_0596.jpgIMG_0597.jpg

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Viking "Cage" Match!

Kenyon had varying versions of that ss "cage" to reduce chafe on halyards. When we had the standing rigging replaced in '02, the mast was pulled, and I can testify that there's almost no frickin way the original ss machine screws could have been removed with the spar in place some fifty odd feet up in the sky. Like most ss fittings in the alum spar, they were pretty solidly bonded into place by corrosion byproducts.

OTOH, ours came out "better than ever" after being removed and mirror-polished. Our masthead rig has what some folks call port and starboard Wing halyards for flying sails. And, if you jibe the chute over after hoist, it will be on the "wrong" side of the whole assembly.
Since sisterhsips have made numerous blue water trips, including Hawaii in race mode - spinnaker up day n night, I presume that the builder's solution is workable if not optimal, IMO.

Great photos posted, BTW. Thanks to all.
Ours looks a lot like Jerry's, FWIW.

Loren

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
Another - "I don't think it matters"

On our 32-3 I've always used the port side halyard for my chute because......well for some reason that's where I ran the halyard. Have not had any issues flying our asymetrical spinnaker from there regardless of which side of Mindscape the sail is flying on.

newgringo

Member III
Got the idea!

Thanks folks for all your insight into my thread. For now I am going to run the new halyard thru the port sheave. I thought it would be neat to have both port and stbd halyards - but for me to think that far ahead and choose one during a race would be a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.