E32-3 non-skid delaminating?

Jeff Meier

Member II
Just bought this boat and absolutely love it, though I've noticed something that I'm cencerned with. Now that i've used the boat a few times I notice cracking noises when I lift up my feet in a few places in the cockpit. I have to look for them but can see some small spider cracks in the non-skid in these spots and one small (1/8") chip missing.

Does this sound like the start of a real problem? Is there anything that I can do at this point to prevent it from getting worse?

Thanks,
Jeff

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I once owned an O'Day that came from the factory with delamination, which I cured by drilling small holes through the top layer and injecting epoxy with a syringe. This should work for you if the core is not wet. A moisture meter might help with that determination. Also tapping with a small hammer will tell you the extent of the delamination. I have used the same technique on the rudder for my 32-3 which had extensive delamination when I bought it.

(As an aside, I made the O'day repairs after going the warranty route. The dealer sent over someone who drilled through the entire deck and pumped the resin into the lazarette. What an idiot.)

Last edited: