E32-2 Universal M3-20B coolant takeoff for bus heater

Pacific Spirit Marine

I'm looking to install a bus heater into my 1974 E32-200. It has a Universal M3-20B inside. Has anybody done this before? I'm looking for the correct location to port the engine coolant to the heater.

The coolant pump has no extra ports, other than a hose for the coolant bypass circuit. The M3-20B has an external heat exchanger, so I figure that may be the likely spot, but I had a mechanic friend on board the other day, and neither of us could really determine the best spot to pull the coolant. The only likely spot I noted was a hose that exits the exhaust elbow area and goes to the heat exchanger. Does anybody have any experience pulling hot engine coolant for a bus heater or hot water tank installation?

Attachments

• IMG_1529.jpeg
    IMG_1529.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1531.jpeg
    IMG_1531.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 6

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think that plumbing to a water heater is usually either from the heat exchanger or thermostat bypass.
I recently re-plumbed from the thermostat, simply because it made for a neater world at the back of the engine.
I'm not familiar with cabin heaters that use coolant, but the thermostat alternative is described in this thread:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are several threads discussing adding a cabin heater (works off of the engine coolant, like your vehicle heater). As you might guess, it works only when the engine is operating.
Here is one with pix of ours -- still works wonderfully. A few years ago when motoring up the WA coast, it put out copious amounts of heat thru the cold night, on the lowest fan setting. I would guess that the cabin temp was about 80 degrees with the hatch open to the cockpit. The guy sleeping on a settee, on the off watch, loved it. :)
Ours is routed in series with the coolant hose line to the hot water heater coil. If the engine in the OP's boat does not have a coolant hose going to and returning from a hot water tank, best to ask the folks at Universal/Westerbeke for the answer.

ps: I edited the thread title to make searching easier.

Last edited:

Pacific Spirit Marine

I think that plumbing to a water heater is usually either from the heat exchanger or thermostat bypass.
I recently re-plumbed from the thermostat, simply because it made for a neater world at the back of the engine.
I'm not familiar with cabin heaters that use coolant, but the thermostat alternative is described in this thread:

I saw your write up about plumbing from the bypass a while back, but seeing as my bypass hose is roughly 3/8" hose, I figured there's a good chance I wouldn't get enough heat for a coolant heater/water tank circuit. Do you find yours heats up adequately? I wonder if the bypass circuit may get less flow once the thermostat opens up. Like will have to talk to the dealer for more info.