E32-2 Stanchions

skipper007

Member II
Guys,
I want to add a second lifeline to the original stanchions on an 1974 E32-2. The stanchions are single pieces, welded to the base. Removing and replacing (and rebedding) the stanchions is beyond our time/cost window for this repair. I'm considering adding a clamp on eye (see picture) to each stanchion (6 total) and getting a shop to weld an eye onto the bow & stern pulpit.

Question is: What is the diameter of the existing stanchions? Are they tapered?

Any E32-2 owners available with a mic to measure?
Thanks in advance
Skip

Attachments

• stanchion clamp.bmp
    28.3 KB · Views: 70

sleather

Sustaining Member
Kiss

Skip, You "might" want to give some thought to "thru-drilling" the stanchions. That would allow for a continuous run w/ a minimum of hardware. A good cobalt drill bit is a whole lot cheaper than all that hardware! Just a thought!:rolleyes:

skipper007

Member II
I have considered drilling the existing stanchions. Definitely cheaper. I have 2 concerns: 1. Wouldn't the structural integrity (=safety) of the stanchion be compromised by the hole? 2. Wouldn't chafing cause damage? Although I guess rubber grommets could be used.

Other comments? Anyone?
S

tenders

Innocent Bystander
If I did the drilling I'd be worried about time spent, chafe, and misguided holes. Compromising strength, not so much. I'd go with the bolt-on.

Glyn Judson

Second life lines with brackets.

Skip, I have a pair of these on our boat and recommend them on our E31 web site. They are easy to install and have all the strength you'd ever want. For safety, might I suggest that you replace the standard nuts with Nylok nuts? Visit my Tiny Tips section for the reference to those exact clamps at: http://www.Ericson31.com Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA