E32-2 prop, shaft and strut geometry?

e32stx

Member II
Hi all! I'm rebuilding a 72' e32-2 all DIY and am thinking about repowering w/a used 2QM20. I also have a used A4 I can toss back in as well (old one seized) but there seem to be some issues...1. The boat came w/o a prop (a4 in it at the time) and there seems to be no space to mount anything other than a tiny outboard prop on the thing. I have about 5" of clearance between the shaft and hull. Does this sound right??? 2. I tried doing searches for e32-2 repower and have had zero luck. If anyone knows of a yanmar repower thread or someone that's done one... Please point me in the right direction as I'm still trying to decide if I should go yanmar or A4. I already know I'll need a new tank and the yanmar donar boat has a 1" shaft w/3 blade prop in it.Thanks in advance for any helpOliver

Last edited:

e32stx

Member II
nice...

Sorry about the jumbled mess.. i spaced it out nicely and tried correcting vie edit all to no avail. :(

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Other E-32/2 owners will be checking in....
but I recall seeing - somewhere - that the stock A4 installation used a 12" prop. When changing over to a modern diesel, you might have to add blades to get the area you need, since you cannot get that area with the usual 14" or 15" diameter.
There are many 3 blade options, for instance. Might even be a 4 blade fixed prop out there somewhere.

LB

Last edited:

e32stx

Member II
I just measured it at 4.5" from shaft to hull. Does this sound right to u??? Sure doesn't to me. With the room I have (or lack there of) i might be able to prop it with my dinghy's 15 hp yamaha prop!!! lol

e32stx

Member II
12" huh?

If It's supposed to be a 12, then where did all the space go? :)Perhaps someone w/a e32-2 could be so kind as to post a pic of their prop, shaft and strut so I can figure out what the heck's going on :DCheersOliver

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It could have to do with the angle between the motor adapter and the strut. (I'm rarely afraid to state the blindingly obvious.) The distance grows pretty quickly as the shaft angles down and the hull curves up. But you might discover, as I did, that some PO messed up the whole situation. I recently replaced a prop only to find that nothing back of the engine was original or as per design. For a while I thought I was buying a whole new boat, piece by piece, to fit my new prop!

PDX

Member III
I'm guessing this one looks like a 12 incher. Seems to clear the hull with ease. Does this look like your strut?

3911175_-1_20120502064430_2_0.jpg

e32stx

Member II
lol

The shaft angle looks original... Based on the paint/glass around the S.B., rusty A4 bolted down to motor brackets and strut. Well, now that the old a4 is out I can block up the shaft to engine flange to see if I get any more room. Doubtful though considering the strut would limit movement of the shaft...? Great! ;) I'm rebuilding her to sail to St. John and sell, not to keep as a lifer. This will be a quality rebuild but Dammmn lol.$1500-Yanmar$300-a4$12-nav$1K-sails$1K- bulkheads and cabin-top recore? Cushions, bimini, dodger, ?Oh yeah, now I need a marine architect $$?$$?:D

e32stx

Member II
PDX thanks for de pic mon! God no, mine is Much tighter.

Attachments

• IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 70

e32stx

Member II
As u can see I extended the shaft even further til the anodes bottomed out on the strut. The shiny area should be back up inside the cutles bearing.

e32stx

Member II
PDX is that ur boat? From the looks of that aggressive angle and how far forward the shaft exits the hull, is say that boat has a V-drive in it. Mine had the standard A4 setup.

PDX

Member III
The first pic was not my boat, but one I found for sale on Yachtworld. I went back and looked at some more of the pictures and you are correct. It does have a V-drive.

Here is another Yachtworld E32. It has direct drive. The resolution of the picture isn't nearly as good but you can still tell the angle of the strut is higher and it looks like the prop barely misses the rudder skeg.

3891678_20120409052219_1_LARGE.jpg

Gumdoc

Member I
I hope these two pics help. I may be able to get measurements. Zealous is a 1972 E32, hull number 250. John

Attachments

• DSCN0178_1.jpg
    DSCN0178_1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0187_1.jpg
    DSCN0187_1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 72

e32stx

Member II
Thanks John. They do help some yes but if you can get a measurement from the bottom trailing edge of the strut , up to the bottom of the boat that would help most.Beautiful boat BTW mine is a 72' as well. Hope to have her looking as Sharp by Oct for Annapolis boatshowCheersOliver