E31 Broken boom fitting

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
While removing the mainsail this morning, I found the top part of the mast side of the gooseneck has broken off.
Don't know how I missed it. It is partially hidden by the stack pack cover, but still. Sigh.

So who made these for the E31? Are they still available? I'm under the impression the mast, boom and fittings are original.
There are a couple of local welding shops I can try - maybe one of them could repair it?

IMG_1510.JPG

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Could you have a replacement made of stainless steel? Seems like it would be easier to manufacture and not too costly. I understand welding cast aluminum is problematic.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
First, I would take several other equally good pix of the broken fitting, include measurements of it, and send to Garhauer for their assessment. They are known for making all sorts of SS fittings at reasonable cost. Nothing to lose by giving them a call.....
(and tell 'em you heard of them, repeatedly, via the Ericson Owners' site....) :)

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Thanks guys. A dock neighbor recommended a local shop that may be able to make a new one in stainless steel.
I’ll try them in the morning. If that doesn’t work out then I’ll try Rig-Right and Garhauer.
And Loren I’ll be sure to mention how they were repeatedly recommended from here.