E30+ compression post / bulkhead concern

gryf

1981 E30+ Lake Ontario
Looking for any advice on some deformation at the base of the compression post / bulkhead which can be seen in the photos. This is a 1981 E30+. I do not see any noticeable depression on deck underneath the mast base. The E30+ has limited access to the base of the compression post so other than view from the port side locker under the setee. I also do not see any cracks or delamination in the actual post or bulkhead taking the load. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Thanks for any advice.PXL_20230906_224702190.jpg
PXL_20230906_224643890.jpg

PXL_20230906_224633715.MP.jpg

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hard to say based on the photos. I would think deformation in this area indicates either overloading or material failure due to rot. Rigging overtensioned perhaps? Water can come in from the mast step where wiring goes through and cause all sorts of problems in that area.

Any way you can get a better look under the compression post, maybe from the forward bilge cover? My boat is the “updated” version of yours but I don’t know if the compression post and triaxial force grid is the same. Here is what I found under my compression post (looking forward). No connection to the keel.

IMG_1865.jpeg

More discussion on this area here:

gryf

1981 E30+ Lake Ontario
Unfortunately on this earlier model of E30+ there is no access around the bottom of the compression post. The floor has no removal panels in the head or to the right of the post. I did notice what you showed in the photo which is some kind of support glassed underneath. But similar to your observation it seems to be floating for most of its surface area. Have you noticed any deformation in that area on your boat? Also have you done anything to add more support?

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Unfortunately on this earlier model of E30+ there is no access around the bottom of the compression post.
On mine I can see the bottom of the post by sticking my head down inside the forward dinette settee . My post rests on a 3/8" ish metal plate, it's painted so hard to tell actual material is but tapping on it tells me it's not aluminum.