E29 windows leak

edwardgato

Anyone know where I can get new window seals for my E29? I have tried applying calking to windows. However, they still leak and now I have to clean up an unsightly mess. I read the lead about replacing the class windows with Plexiglas and I don't want to give up my tempered glass windows. So, I am looking for another solution. Anyone have any ideas where I might obtain new seals for my old windows?

:egrin:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
There are many posts about this on the forums. The first step, though, is to determine whether the leaking is coming from between the window frame and the surrounding fiberglass (which would be my wager), or if it's coming from between the window glass and the frame itself. You have to remove the windows in either case, but in the latter, you also have a lot of frame disassembly to do too, so you might want to consider replacing the whole thing.

Also search for "butyl tape."

edwardgato

Thanks tenders. I plan to start taking them apart in the morning. I'll let you know how it turned out.
Wintu, thanks for the web site. I'll call them in the morning and see if they make custom gasgets for windows.
:egrin:

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I would like to buy some of the gasket

Hi Gareth- I have an E27, 1972, which I need to replace the portlight gaskets. Do you have both the glass gasket and the inside trim gasket? I really only need the glass gasket. I have 4 large portlights, and 2 small. If you think it would fit, I would like to purchase some. Please send me a private email if this would work out.

I measured my gaskets and it looks like each large port takes (rounding well up) 66 inches, and the small (again rounding up) takes about 36 inches. So that works out to about 28 feet worth...

Thanks,

Doug

jkenan

Member III
Have you removed your windows yet? I am very interested, as I have tried to remove mine, but fear they are embedded in 5200 since they won't budge. Next step is to use a heat gun. If that doesn't work, I will probably just scrape away as much as I can from the outside and apply a thin 'repair' bead of caulk and hope that will stop the leaks (for the next year anyway).

Please let us know how the remove goes.

Regards,

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi John- I removed my portlights last winter and it was extremely difficult. It wasn't so much the sealant material being hardened as it was the tight fit in the cabin opening. There was a sticky foam strip in place around the flange. This came away from the cabin top easily, but I had to scrape it into little bits and dig it out from the flange in order to get the portlight to move around enough inside the cutout to remove it. I ended up having to cut some of the interior liner with my Multimaster to get the blasted things out. Even then I still had to torque the heck out of the portlights to get them out. I was sure I was going to shatter one of the window panes, but the glass held up fine. It took well over an hour for each one (actually one of them came out relatively easily). I ended up bending the flange and frame a bit on several of them, which i have now pounded back in place. Hopefully they will seal back up again. I'll be using lots of butyl tape to seal them in.

Actually the thought occurred to me that if a previous owner rebedded yours, maybe they enlarged the openings a little bit (like I have done). Hopefully once you get the seal broken they will come out easily.

Good luck with it!

Doug

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
What year is your boat? I have a couple of hundred feet of gasket for 70s boats in my barn.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972
Hi Gareth
I plan to replace the gasket on six windows in an Ericson 41 from 69 or 70. Do you still have some gasket left? I am interested in buying some if you do.
Regards
Svein Utne

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Try chemicals first

Quote: fear they are embedded in 5200 since they won't budge. Next step is to use a heat gun. If that doesn't work, I will probably just scrape away as much as I can from the outside and apply a thin 'repair' bead of caulk and hope that will stop the leaks (for the next year anyway).

I have removed enough windows to know that force bends frames and then you really have trouble. There are a number of good products available that defeat the adhesive qualities of caulks. (even 5200)They can be found at WM or boat supply stores. They are liquids and just take patience and gentle prodding. Read the label because some are dangerous to fiberglass. Go slow.:)

Larry Lee
Savannah, GA
Annabel Lee E-32-200

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Not to take gasket sales away from Gareth :), but you might be able to find the glass to frame gasket locally at a good glass shop. You will need to know the glass thickness and how deep the glass slides into the frame.

When I resealed my portlights (E23 & E27) I found the frames were pitted on the inside of the groove that the glass slides into. Some leaked even with the new gasket. I took them apart and put some silicone in the groove then reassembled everything. It worked.

I think what happens with the "tight" port openings is that somehow the outer fiberglass and the inner fiberglass shift relative to each other and don't line up anymore. I've used a chisel to shave and pry from the inside, they can be a bear!

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
What I have is the U shaped gasket that fits between the glass and frame. Between the frame and boat is just closed cell foam tape. A few years back I had it made up to match the original from my boat, and it seems to fit most 70s boats - I have only had a little feedback from people I have shipped it to. The large portlights need 5 ft., the smaller ones 2' 6".

I will next be in my barn in about 2 - 3 weeks, and can supply as much as anybody wants then.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

paul culver

Member III
Does anyone know where to get the trim gasket that fills the interior space between the glass and the front edge of the frame? Its more or less in the shape of a "T". I've had no luck with the glass shops I've visited.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

wintu

Member I
more gaskets

looks like i should get in line before everything is sold out :egrin: i just pulled out one of my portlights today and here is some pictures of the gaskets i have in my windows . boat is 71 E29.

Attachments

• P1060238.jpg
    P1060238.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 140
  • P1060236.jpg
    P1060236.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 134

sveinutne

Member III
What I have is the U shaped gasket that fits between the glass and frame. Between the frame and boat is just closed cell foam tape. A few years back I had it made up to match the original from my boat, and it seems to fit most 70s boats - I have only had a little feedback from people I have shipped it to. The large portlights need 5 ft., the smaller ones 2' 6".

I will next be in my barn in about 2 - 3 weeks, and can supply as much as anybody wants then.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

I will try to take out one of the windows in a week or two, and then I will take pictures of the gasket that is in the window, so you can see if it is the same type as you might have. Then I will also measure how many feet I might need

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The first of Wintu's pictures looks like the right stuff. The second is of a cosmetic trim that I have not bothered with. Some boats may have a closed cell foam tape between the metal of the frame and the boat, which is nothing unique.

I will be back at my barn some time in the next month, so anybody who wants it let me know by then.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I will be leaving the country next week until well into next year, so if you want any gasket let me know by monday.

I sent out a load a few weeks ago to those who have asked, if you have not got it, let me know ASAP.

Gareth
Freyja E35 241 1972

sveinutne

Member III
I will be leaving the country next week until well into next year, so if you want any gasket let me know by monday.

I sent out a load a few weeks ago to those who have asked, if you have not got it, let me know ASAP.

Gareth
Freyja E35 241 1972
Thank you Gareth, but I will try a different way of fixing the windows. I will post pictures when it is done.
Regards
Svein

Akavishon

Member III
Gareth were art thou?

Gareth, are you in the country? If so, it's my turn to take a number for some gasket material ... would need ~10' or so.

- Zoran