E29 Rudder Modification

arrenz

Hey all,
I'm interested in putting in a new longer and straighter rudder on my E29. I find that when heeled over and downwind control could be better if the rudder were a bit longer. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel it could be and I've heard the same from other owners.
My question is if anyone has done this modification? Which rudder did you use? basically how did you go about doing it? Thanks

Seth

Sustaining Partner
In you are in CA.....

Cheapest and easiest thing is to send it to Dennis Choate at Dencho Marine in Long Beach. Ask Jim McCone who lurks here on the site-he has a 32-2 and had this done at Dencho.

BTW-you will LOVE the difference!

Cheers

Dave Hussey

Member III
Seth, what is the benefit of a longer rudder on the E29 ? Would it benefit a 27?
I have wondered about the factory rudder design, and while I am not a marine engineer, it just doesn't seem right. It is at quite a steeply swept angle. Maybe that provides less drag while sailing, and balances the requirement of weather helm and heeling of the hull...many tradeoffs to be calculated in the design I am sure.
Here in the Pacific Northwest in Puget Sound, we have to run the engine and I hate trying to back up under power with that rudder. I would love to have a more vertical rudder and closer to the prop for those inevitable "iron sail" days...that is, if it would be any better...I dont want to experiment with hard earned money and discover I made it worse.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Rudders

There has been a lot of talk and many posts here on this topic, you might want to search the topic, but in short, IMHO the 27, 29, 32-2, 35-2, 37 and 39 are all a bit under-ruddered. Yacht design, including foil design, has evolved lot since the time these boats were designed (the 70's).

A slightly larger and deeper rudder will provide more lift going upwind (and improved VMG), and really enhance control reaching and running. Improved hydrodynamics more than offset the small increase in drag due to the larger area. Control in reverse should also get better.

Jim McCone spent about 1500 IIRC to have Choate re-build his rudder with a more modern shape. There are several other options available-You can hire a NA to design a new rudder and have it built custom (probably 10K by the time you are done), or just send it to Choat and let him do his magic. Many boat yards have the ability to do similar things.

Look for the thread on Jim's E-32-2 or contact him directly.

Cheers,
S