E29 Mid-Boom Sheeting System

jkenan

Member III
I would like to move the mainsheet on my E29 to a mid-boom sheeting system with a cabin-top traveller and a 3 or 4 point purchase on the boom.

It would require a cabin top bridge traveller system (with proper backing plates), which I think could sit just over the forward open area of my companionway to have a purchase on the boom postioned adequately aft to handle the mainsail load without damaging the boom. Has anyone done this? Are there compelling reasons NOT to do this?

I appreciate anyone's thoughts and recommendations on the matter.

John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Archives have good info on this...

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1914&referrerid=28

Here is a link to a prior discussion about the subject. Do a "Search" (clickable word above on any Forum page on this site) and put word(s) like -mid boom traveler- or related, and you will find a LOT of informed commentary and photos.

Note that going to mid-boom sheeting may require a stronger boom from the doubled or tripled force on the boom section.

When it comes to information, on this web site you can easily be a real "hunter-gatherer."
:)

Loren

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Mid boom sheeting

You should be ok as long as you spread out the attachment points on the boom-at least 3 attachment points for the purchase blocks-Note that 4:1 is the absolute MINIMUM to have reasonable effective control-and if you can do 6:1 you will find it MUCH easier to use.

Good luck!
S

Dave G

Member II
Mid Boom Sheeting

I considered converting our 29 to mid boom sheeting, but after studying it, I was concerned that the boom on the 29 is fairly long and the mounting point would be too far forward and not allow enough leverage to be very workable. Just my opinion, I have yet to see a 29 with this conversion so I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone that has done it.

Dave Green
E-29 Spirit

escapade

Inactive Member
mid-boom options

The E27's from that era had both configurations. The wheel steered boats aft sheeting & the tiller boat mid-boom. I had the mid-boom configuration and had zero problems. I can see no reason that it wouldn't work on your E29 as well. As Seth said you need to spread the attachment points out which spreads the point loading over a larger area. Rigging Only has been very helpful to me on projects and have all the pieces you'd need. I'm sure they or another rigger could help answer your questions. Again, the biggest issue is spreading the load out so you do not have all the stress at one point. It will certainly open up your cockpit and give you more useable room plus allow the addition of a bimini.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

missalot

Member II
I purchased my 1970 E29 in 1988. It came with a mid-boom traveller setup. I love it.
I have the IOR rig so my boom is about 10'long. The attachments for the main sheet are spread out to distribute the load. I am in Anacortes if anyone wants to take a look.

-Kyle

jkenan

Member III
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I really appreciate your feedback. After I contact a few professional resources via riggers, hardware suppliers, etc, I will come up with a plan based on my existing spars, and follow up on this thread with a description. Based on the comments above, I see no reason not to proceed.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Just do it right

Just make sure you give yourself enough purchase-this is no area to do "cheaply". A good way to offset some of the extra friction (apart from using high quality blocks) is to use a very high quality mainsheet (Maffioli or equivalent)-this will make sure the sheet runs freely through thesystem so you can ease AND trim as needed..

Have fun!

S

Richard Elliott

Member III
Mid-Boom Sheeting

I'm apparently in a vast minority in favoring minimal purchase for the mainsheet. I see no reason to carry 4:1 or more with the associated friction when a winch is available for the mainsheet. 3:1 sheets in much faster and can be taken most of the way in with a quick luff. The quickness is especially important when rounding from a broad reach to close. I removed one boom block from our E34 and am very pleased with the results.

Don Taugher

Member II
I think I'm in the minority, but having sailed my 1978 E29 for 18 years and recently swithching to an E38 with mid-boom sheeting, I would like to offer the following. I miss being able to adjust the mainsail freely as I helm the boat! On the 29 when a puff would hit it was a snap to lower the traveler or sheet out. Although puffs are not the problem with the 38, I need to engage a crew member to adjust the mainsail. On the 29 I did replace the stock traveler with a schaefer roller traveler, I had the roller traveler bent to match the original bend, this made for a very slick traveler.

Regards,
Don Taugher
E38-200 Running Free

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Smaller purchase

Richard Elliott said:
I'm apparently in a vast minority in favoring minimal purchase for the mainsheet. I see no reason to carry 4:1 or more with the associated friction when a winch is available for the mainsheet. 3:1 sheets in much faster and can be taken most of the way in with a quick luff. The quickness is especially important when rounding from a broad reach to close. I removed one boom block from our E34 and am very pleased with the results.
Richard,

Of course it is not uncommon to use winches for the mainsheet-and it is perfectly acceptable to use a small purchase along with a winch-the advantages are as you state: less friction, quicker coarse tuning. The Sydney 38 and Beneteau 40.7's have a 2:1 split down each side of the boat led to winches at each end of the traveller-very quick around the bottom mark indeed. This is certainly another alternative-I think this discussion has centered around not using a winch and having enough purchase to adequately trim the main in big air. Without a winch, you need at more than 4:1 to trim properly-those who think otherwise are not trimming enough to go properly upwind..

But there is nothing wrong with your set up.

S

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Best combination in my mind is a moderate purchase main sheet system, with a tweaker inside the end of the boom, attaching to the mainsheet inside the boom. This reduces all the large-diameter line and clutter of a 6, 7, 8:1 system, but allows quick coarse trimming, and when close hauled the tweaker is right above your head to easily flatten the leach with fingertip precision and ease.

I sailed a Baltic 38 this summer that had this feature (one of many features that made me fall madly for this very well-appointed and high-performance cruising-sled).

Last edited:

Moor'ea

Savage Sailor
I've got mid boom sheeting on my E29

It works great. I've had many years of trouble free sailing on San Francisco Bay, (except for the day my boom broke in half, but it was just really windy that day...) Anyhow, the traveller is on the coachroof, just forward of the companion way hatch. The traveller is a 4:1 remote cleated system, with blocks on the traveller ends, and cam cleats on the coach roof. The main sheet is 4:1, attached in three places on the boom, one aft of the traveller, one right at the traveller and one forward of the traveller. The sheet is double ended, so it can be sheeted from either windward or leeward side; led forward to the gooseneck, down to the mast/deck organizer then through a rope clutch with the option of using one of the two winches on the coachroof on either side of the companion way hatch. One thing I should mention is that my E29 is an early model, tiller steered and a straight (not 'T' shaped cockpit.) That puts me much closer to the mainsheet and traveller lines when at the helm than I would be at the aft end of the cockpit on a wheel steered boat.

cheers,
jay

Attachments

• 1048.gif
    1048.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,034

jkenan

Member III
I'm ressurecting an old thread here - I'm putting my decks back together after painting them, and really don't want to go back to cockpit sheeting if I can help it.

I spoke to Guido at Garhauer, who estimated the mid-boom SWL on a 12' boom for 183sqft of sail will be 1532 Lbs (and gave advice of which traveler would be suitable). I have attached an image of the line/purchase configuration I have in mind, which places the traveler about 3/4 of the way into the companionway opening from the cockpit. The line angle allows a dodger in the future, much like some of the E27 configs I have seen. Can anyone provide any insight as to whether this strategy is appropriate, and whether the original boom can handle this load?

Much appreciated.

Attachments

• MidBoom.jpg
    MidBoom.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,284

Dave Hussey

Member III
I own an E27, with mid boom sheeting, the way it came from the factory. The stock boom didnt stand up very well to a previous owners racing the boat, and had a distinct bow in it, (and a crack I discovered later) probably due to hard jibes or who-knows-what. I replaced my boom with one from a Dana 24, and had it rigged with the same mid boom sheeting...I like the convenience of it, and it also helps the boom stay down when crossing the wake of those nasty power boaters . :egrin:

CamD

Member II
I have a 1971 E 29 Tall rig with about a 10' boom and mid-boom sheeting. According to the info in the resources section the Tall rigs had the shorter boom setup and the standard rig had a 12' boom with end sheeting. With end boom sheeting the upward stress at the clew is immediately countered by the downward force of the sheet (especially with a loose footed main = all the forces concentrated on the tack and clew rather than spread along the foot) whereas with mid-boom sheeting it transfers down the length of the boom to the sheets halfway along. On a 30+ year old boom that can be too much. It also seems to me that with a 12' boom the attachment points are going to be about 2/3 of the way forward which leaves a lot of boom to stress upwards. My previous boat (Balboa 26) had been switched from mid to end boom sheeting by the PO because in heavy winds he could see a bow in it and felt that it would eventually break. I've heard stories of booms with mid sheeting breaking shortly after being switched to a loose footed main which makes me nervous as I am about to switch. I guess I may be in the market for a new boom soon.

jkenan

Member III
CamD-

Yeah, I'm coming to realization that mid-boom sheeting won't by a great set-up with my current config, based a lot on the points you made. The fatal flaw is that the purchase points on the boom are just too far forward on the standard rig (12' boom) without totally blocking the companionway, and I do like to sail hard occassionally. The way I see it, I have three choices:

1) Keep the current configuration
2) Replace the boom with one that can handle mid boom sheeting
3) Install an arch over the helm and raise the traveller

I have to admit, option 3 is attractive, but probably too expensive and complicated. Anyone else tried this? I like the notion because a bimini can be tied into it, but wonder if doing this places too much weight aft.

In the meantime, I'm considering installing a heavy duty padeye just in front of the binnacle as a stationary point to attach the mainsail, just so I can sail, in order to buy some time to figure it out. If later I arrive a better solution, the padeye will be a good anchor point for kid's harnesses...

PDX

Member III
Boom bend

An SF Bay area poster had an Ericson 28 that had come with factory mid-boom sheeting. The Bay winds had kinked his factory boom. He ended up converting a mast from some mid 20s boat into a new boom.

I don't remember the poster's name but the thread had a series of pictures showing modifications he made to his existing mid-boom rig.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
End-boom sheeting has a lot going for it from a sailing standpoint, and is easier on the boat as well as handy to the helm.
I have seen several boats end boom sheeting, including a sistership, with a good-sized bimini aft, and a full size dodger. Then they have a joining piece of sunbrella® about a foot wide or so that is zipped in for those times at dockside or anchor. Seen something like this on an Ericson 31C, matter of fact.

That fill piece often zips from either side to the center, to allow the sheet tackle to be parked on either side or centered.

Loren