E29 Masthead

westcoastcat

Member II
Having raised and lowered the mainsail multiple times and having been to the top of my mast several times now, install windex, replace masthead light, etc. I knew the aluminum halyard sheaves were frozen and fused to the masthead. The wire halyards just slide over the frozen sheaves. Changed out my headsail this weekend and the wire jib halyard cracked the sheave and became stuck - I went up and unjammed it so the headsail could be raised but now the masthead is on the fix it list. Some questions: I have heard rumors but has anyone actually drilled out the center of the masthead so the existing four sheaves could be used with four internal halyards as opposed to just two halyards running fore to aft and visa versa. Next, do any of the experts on this site think the mast could be dropped at the slip using an a-frame arrangement ( shown on the Catalina 30 website ). Has anyone dropped the mast of an E29 at the slip that could lend some advice. First question is most important to me.... Thanks Westcoastcat

westcoastcat

Member II
No replies to the post, but I dropped the mast at the slip w/ the a-frame method, rebuilt the masthead with the Garhauer ball bearing sheaves, drilled out the top of the masthead and the top of the mast cap to run internal halyards. Installed two double exit blocks close to the base. Now I have four halyards, well three with a spare, I installed a rigid vang so no need for the topping lift anymore.

The "A" frame worked great, only one guy from the harbor patrol who does not grasp the concept of physics had a challenge with it.

Attachments

• P1090021.jpg
    P1090021.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 115

hankcope

how are the internal halyards working out?

Hi westcoastcat. I'm considering internal halyards while I add lines led aft - so I'm glad to see your post, and glad that you got your masthead all worked out. I had not heard of the a frame scenario - interesting - I'll check it out at the Catalina site. Did you run into anything interesting with drilling the center of the masthead? I'm also curious about the bottom of the mast - what kind of wiring connectors, base plate etc. Do you have any pictures or can you describe? Also info on the garhauer sheaves, exit blocks etc.

Any chance you have the mast section dimensions handy? I'm out of town and have a chance to pick up a mast base plate.

Thanks. Hank

westcoastcat

Member II
Hank I think I ended up with 1 15/32" holes this was the exact space between the masthead plates. Make sure to center the holes on the exits for the new sheaves - aluminum was thicker than I thought but still easy drilling - get a good sharp Demming drill, cleaned up basically square up the holes a little with a file. Wait till you see the masthead / take out the pins, etc. before ordering the sheaves from garhauer, I went with all 3/8" line - overkill but easy on the hands - you can order the dbl. exit blocks from Garhauer same time, I cut these out with sabre saw. My lights and antennea both had plugs, but the previous owner had wrapped about five feet of tape around these, have a block of wood handy to set the mast on while these are being unplugged. Deck plate - sorry no pics, pretty basic - I don't have the mast section dimension - sold the boat last week. In hind site I would not run the wires through the deck plate but run them out near the base of the mast then through the cabintop, or make sure the plugs are below the cabintop - seems much easier to affect any repairs or replacement of the wires. Take care running the halyards through the mast so that they do not twist / or wrap around each other, I used a series of conduit pieces to thread them through - I taped the halyards around the end and made sure not to twist the conduit and threaded the halyards through so they would not wrap or cross over each other in the mast. I siliconed plastic caps to the top of the masthead.

hankcope

Thanks for the details and suggestions, they will come in handy. I saw your ad - you did a lot of work on your E29. Maybe the new owner will post some pics of your handiwork. Enjoy your new boat. Hank