E29 main sheet

fullandby

My main sheet needs replacement. Thought I would crowd source some recommendations on a replacement for it. My current sheet looks to be about 1/2" or 12mm. Thanks for any input.

jkenan

Member III
Mine is 7/16 stayset, about 52' long. I have a fiddle block with a becket and cam on the traveller, and standard fiddle block on the boom bail (both Schaefer 5-series - I guess that would be a 4:1 purchase??). Sailing downwind with the boom right up to the shrouds, all 52' of the sheet are consumed with about a 3' tail coming from the cam. The 7/16" line is PLENTY of thickness for my boat. I considered 1/2" line when replacing it, but decided that was overkill, and that the bulkiness of the heavier line would have been more of a nuisance when the boom was sheeted in. My bail is on the boom end and have a split cockpit config with traveller just forward of pedestal.

AleksT

Member III
Old line can swell with age if you think it is 1/2" it probably was 7/16" when new. Depending the amount of purchase you have 3/8 would also work.

Bill Sanborn

Member III
E29 Mainsheet

Have always used 3/8" for all sheets and halyards and never had a problem or felt I needed something heavier. Use 3/8" Samson XLS.

I have the same block set up as prior post.

thomthod

Member II
E29 boom width

I need to get a boom bail for my E29 cause I am going to install a boom vang. Does anyone know off hand what the width is? I was going to order it from Garhauer. I did not see that in the specs manual anywhere.

thanks

T

Blooz Traveler

Sven

Seglare
Mine is 7/16 stayset, about 52' long.

I'm going to have to go back and re-measure :egrin:

We just ordered a Garhaur triple-block setup for a 6:1 purchase to make our main more managable. When I measured our current 4:1 mainsheet I got ~44' of 1/2" line. I was going to just get 75' of 3/8" to be on the safe side for the new blocks and then trim off what we don't use. I guess our line runs might be more direct than yours but I'll go take a look at the blueprints to make sure that I didn't mess up. Thanks for your numbers as a sanity check.

-Sven

jkenan

Member III
Sven-

Remember that my sheets attach to the boom end. If you have a mid-boom sheeting setup on the 39B, then I would think your 44ish feet to be reasonable (and a 6:1 purchase seems appropriate too, though I'm no expert), though it never hurts to re-measure. I've got the standard rig, so my boom is 12' long, and I'm guestimating the boom bail is about 10 - 11 feet from the mast. Hope this helps!

John