E29 Headsail question

dfresh808

E29 headsail rigging question
<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 251); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 251);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have a 1976 E29 with a 150% on a roller furler. I also have a 100% jib that i would like to use when the wind picks up. My question is which genoa track to use for the #3. My shrouds are all the way outboard at the sheer, With the primary track outboard of that. When using the outboard track, I cannot obtain a good sheeting angle to use the #3 jib upwind effectivly. When I use the inboard track on the fwd cabintop, the sheeting angle is poor because of the fwd shroud is in the way. How do you other E29 owners rig your #3 jib? Would it be poor form to run the sheet aft between the Fwd lower shroud and the Upper shroud? Solutions and comments appreciated. Does anyone have the dimensions for a good #3 jib? What configaration do you other E29 owners use in 18-20 knots with a sloppy seaway?
Thanks for your reply

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Inside track

My 95% on my E27 sheets exactly that way. Inside tracks with sheets between the forward lower and upper shrouds. Don't know the dimensions of my sail -however you will want to also consider the location of the tracks as well.

Grant Kiba
'73 E27
Antioch, CA

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sail design problem

The design of a sail in the 90-105% range makes all the difference. Have a sailmaker come to the boat to measure for a sail like this, and tell him you are concerned about sheeting angles given the track locations. With a higher clew it can lead to the front of the inboard track, which will give you the best sheeting angle. It will need a fair amount of leech hollow to clear the shrouds (although it should be touching when sheeted hard going upwind).

Or, he/she can design it for the outboard track, give you a lower clew. Same thing applies as for fitting around the rig.

Once they give you a quote (ask for leech, luff and foot dimensions), you can either buy it (you will be happy with a well designed sail), or shop for something used.

Depending on what you current sail is like, you can also ask a sailmaker to recut it to fit better, but they will need to measure the boat (all good ones will), or have an accurate sailplan on file-not just the rig dimensions (some do, some don't).

Cheers,
S