E29 featured on Interview With a Cruiser Project

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
One of the articles below that one had this comment that I found amusing:

I like to joke that cruising is just “extensive repair and maintenance in beautiful and exotic places.”

Keiffer

Member II
Rowan,

What a great site, I was not familiar with this and have enjoyed reading the interviews. One question I would be interested in knowing is how do they afford to do it? I get the sense that for some money is not an issue and for others it is done on a shoestring budget. Do any of them work along the way to earn additional money? I guess these are questions I could suggest to the person who is doing the project.

Rowan

Member I
Hi Keiffer,

A lot of cruisers are retired and living off of their retirement income, some are young and just living very very frugally and earning money when they can, and some save up and cruise until the money gets low then go back to work to save some more to go out again. We plan to be in the 3rd category. It will be a few years before we are ready to set out but once we do the plan is to work for 6 months at a time and try to cruise for a least a year before working some more. The actual cost to cruise depends a lot on your lifestyle (anchoring vs marinas, eating local food vs imported foods, etc) and where you go (French Polynesia and the Med are pretty expensive compared to Mexico and the Philippines).

On my blog there are some links to several blogs of people out cruising, it is a pretty diverse group.

How is The Emerald Lady? Are you doing much sailing? We had some great times on the river this summer but we haven't been sailing since the weather turned cold and rainy. We are planning to make a dodger so we can get out more in the winter (although the winds haven't been good anyway, either very calm or too stormy for our taste) but we need to make a seahood first.

Rowan

imiloa.wordpress.com

Keiffer

Member II
Rowan,

We have spent almost every weekend on the boat this summer rebedding anything that could be removed including port lites, and TOE RAIL! We removed each pc of toe rail one at a time, stripped it, fixed it, re-installed it and on to the next pc. a once in a lifetime project I hope. I made a new sliding hatch and have our seahood currently off to be painted. We had a dodger re-stiched but can't install it until we get the seahood back on.

Last time out was the Saturday after Thanksgiving 25 to 35 mph winds. It was tough going at first but we settled in and had and exciting day of sailing. Plan on going to the boat tomorrow for the first time since then.

Rowan

Member I
Wow, I am impressed you tackled the toerails. That sounds like a huge project! Just getting to all the bolts is a project in itself. Devon tightened all of ours except the ones in the vberth (we will do those when we tear out the vinyl this year). We are also planning to replace the bowsprit in the spring. I know you did yours already so if you have any thoughts on the project that you'd like to share I am all ears.

Rowan