E29 Anchoring

Dean29

Greetings, I am new to this forum. I am interested to upgrade the anchoring system on our E29. At present we have a Danforth anchor and are hopeful to add a Rocna or Bruce with a manual windlass and the appropriate amount of chain for the system. Our Danforth has served us well in sheltered, muddy/sandy anchorages but we don't want to have issues in other bottoms within our sailing region. We would also like to have an option to not pull our anchor up by hand.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20210404_194031.jpg
    20210404_194031.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 22

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hi Dean - welcome!

About anchors:
The new breed of anchors (typified by the Rocna and Mantis lines) seem to have the best overall performance credentials in head-to-head comparisons. But before lashing out on a new anchor, I suggest that (i) you read the vendors' spec guides for the size of anchor you need for your boat, how heavily it's loaded and your typical anchoring conditions (high wind or current?) and then buy the next size up, and (ii) you download scale diagrams of the anchors you're considering (I know these exist for all Rocna anchors - I imagine you can get them for Mantis too), print out a full-size version, stick it to stiff cardboard and make a 2-D anchor cutout, and then see how the dummy behaves on your roller - the question is whether or not it's tip will gouge your bow/stem when it's pulled up onto the roller and if the shank is not so long that it interferes with key on-anchoring hardware on your foredeck (e.g., the position of the hawsepipe). If they are too long, look at the corresponding anchor weight in the Vulcan range from Rocna (I had to do this on my E32).

About windlasses:
For your boat, you might want to start with a fully manual windlass. From personal experience, I can assure you it's expensive and an LOT of work to install an electric windlass. If after a season with a manual one, and especially if you have to anchor with a lot of chain (and perhaps you have a bad back or sail solo all the time), then you might decide to switch to an electric one.

Good luck!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I blew out your cross-post Dean - not to worry - folks will see this one...

As for tackle - I sailed all over Puget Sound and the San Juans and really liked my Bruce(s). When I got my boat I thought I wanted a CQR, but it came with two full sets of Bruce #33 - plus 40' chain and 250' rode and those things never budged - ever. It would dive into the mud/sand and then come right out when it was pulled - no issue.

I never dragged, only fouled once (old crab trap in Pt. Townsend after gale warnings the night before) and always pulled it up by hand. If you're using a manual windlass, I would think it very workable.

Just my opinion, but 30' water + Bruce Anchor + anchor riding sail + snubber = full nights sleep.

//sse

Dean29

Hi Dean - welcome!

About anchors:
The new breed of anchors (typified by the Rocna and Mantis lines) seem to have the best overall performance credentials in head-to-head comparisons. But before lashing out on a new anchor, I suggest that (i) you read the vendors' spec guides for the size of anchor you need for your boat, how heavily it's loaded and your typical anchoring conditions (high wind or current?) and then buy the next size up, and (ii) you download scale diagrams of the anchors you're considering (I know these exist for all Rocna anchors - I imagine you can get them for Mantis too), print out a full-size version, stick it to stiff cardboard and make a 2-D anchor cutout, and then see how the dummy behaves on your roller - the question is whether or not it's tip will gouge your bow/stem when it's pulled up onto the roller and if the shank is not so long that it interferes with key on-anchoring hardware on your foredeck (e.g., the position of the hawsepipe). If they are too long, look at the corresponding anchor weight in the Vulcan range from Rocna (I had to do this on my E32).

About windlasses:
For your boat, you might want to start with a fully manual windlass. From personal experience, I can assure you it's expensive and an LOT of work to install an electric windlass. If after a season with a manual one, and especially if you have to anchor with a lot of chain (and perhaps you have a bad back or sail solo all the time), then you might decide to switch to an electric one.

Good luck!
Thank you!!!!!!

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Hi Dean,

isnt using a manual windlass still “bringing it up by hand“? :)

I recall reading somewhere that manual windlasses aren’t that practical because there awfully slow and expensive. Also does your boat have space for a windlass? If yes my personal advise would be spend of few bucks more and go electric.

In case you haven't already, check out Panope you tube channel. Considered by many the Bible of anchor testing.

I like Danforth anchors a lot. They aren’t sexy but I’ve never had any problems with them other then kelp and they store nice and flat. my next anchor will be a Bruce but I’m holding out until I find a genuine one in the weight I need. Our paths will cross someday.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hey Sean, this is something I haven't come across before, could you please elaborate. Thanks!!
Some good discussion about this in a previous thread. Our boat still has and uses the same anchor sail, and it works quite well. Pix in reply 18.
Some external links in other replies are now broken, but some are still good. You could always try the "wayback machine" to find them.......

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yes, basically because of the shape of your hull, when you're on anchor, the boat will be pushed by the wind in one direction until it reaches a certain point, and then it will reverse itself. The result is that the boat (depending on the hull shape, wind conditions and other) will 'wag' back and forth - which can be annoying at least and if your hook did not bite properly, a problem in the middle of the night. An anchor riding sail will resolve much of this (in light wind) simply by holding you in a (more or less) steady position. There are lots of kits (Sailrite's being one) that are out there, and videos on it, etc.

I also recommend a snubber on your anchor line - makes a huge difference in how the boat rides on anchor and smooths out the shocks to the line (especially in heavier wind). I had snubbers on all my dock lines, and would just tie one into the anchor line and then cleat it off - very simple solution.

//sse

Gaviate

Member III
Thanks Loren and Sean!
Having logged only 7 nights at anchor in the previous 2 sailing seasons, I haven't recognized that swinging to and fro is problematic. After following a few threads I can see where the addition of an anchor sail to the boats kit is worthy of being inked onto the list (as opposed to just pencil).
I've purchased a snubber that I intend to use on mooring this season. Easy and solid idea to use at anchor as well!!
Cheers!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I see the OP's E29 is rigged somewhat differently than mine. Tall rig? There are a bunch of issues with anchoring these boats for which, apparently, little provision was made. That track (pole downhaul? inner staysail tack?) running down the middle of your foredeck might constrain some options, like windlasses. It appears to go right over the chain locker area, unless that's due to perspective of the photo.

This same topic came up a week or two ago, (and before that too) so instead of repeating myself all over again, I finally got around to starting a blog entry on what I've done to my boat. So FWIW, I refer you there for my hare-brained ideas.

Katie Jennings

Member I
We just installed a manual windlass on our E29 (1971) today, so I guess I should report back after we've tried it out for a season. Still, here's what we are trying out:

Found a Lofrans Royal on Craigslist and installed it on the foredeck behind the inspection port, along with a small (1.5 inch?) hawsepipe in the right spot so the chain drops into the anchor locker. We have 100 feet of 5/16 chain and 150 feet of 3 strand nylon rode with a 25 pound Mantus anchor. I've checked around and this seems like the right anchor for this boat and place (Puget Sound/San Juans). The trick is mounting the Mantus on the bow - tomorrow we'll put in the inexpensive roller we found at Fishermans Supply. It extends low and long to keep the shank from hitting the roller fuller. I don't mind that this system will be slow on the uptake - the price and level of sophistication is just right for this basic/old boat. I'm mostly relieved that the person on deck will be able to deploy that heavy anchor using the windlass brake - no getting hands tangled in chains.