E28 Rudder Transducer Mounting

sailingjazz

Member II
I have installed one of the new Raymarine Evo 100 Autopilots on my E28. I have been told that they work better with a rudder position transducer. In the instructions it says the maximum throw of the transducer is 60 degrees. My rudder swings about 120 degrees and when mounted as the instructions show, the transducer rotates about 120 degrees also. I think this is making the transducer throw an error (at least I'm getting an error in setup).

Has anyone mounted one of these transducers? I would like to see a picture or drawing or anything that show how you did it.

I am planning to move the pivot point of the transducer back towards the rudder post to reduce the rod throw. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Kevin

windjunkee

Member III
I just installed a Simrad Autopilot. As far as I remember, you just have to install your rudder position sensor at the same angle as your linear drive arm. I mounted it about 2 inches forward of the linear drive pivot point on the rudder tiller, keeping the same relative angle. To do that, I mounted it upside down, on the opposite side of the linear drive, bracketed to the underside of the cockpit. There is no way to get reasonable photos of the set up. As I recall though, my maximum throw, both to port and to starboard, is 38 degrees, which is more in line with the 60 degree max throw from stop to stop than the 120, which just sounds a little off. Hope this helps.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

sailingjazz

Member II
E28 Rudder

Jim Thanks for the response. I had to mount a block on the quadrant in order to mount the transducer pivot and I was able to move the block back towards the rudder post to reduce the throw of the transducer. It seems to work OK there. I looked at it today and the rudder is pretty close to 110 - 120 degrees stop to stop. I have to be careful when steering in tight quarters to avoid stalling the rudder. Not sure why it goes that far over, there doesn't appear to be any modifications to the steering gear. Cheers Kevin

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure why it goes that far over

Usually there are stops to prevent over-deflection when backing up, either from the helmsman or if the boat is thrown backwards by heavy seas.

My quadrant has a central post which hits L-plates bolted under the deck.

Some folks put a piece of wood across the quadrant, and provide something for it to hit at max desired turn.

You can also rig wires to limit the turn.

Not rocket science and worth implementing. The greatest practical danger is the possibility of a crew member taking over the wheel when you are backing down hard in an emergency. If they let go of the wheel even for a moment with sternway, the damage to the rudder can be quite serious.