E28 Plus keel shapes

Gary G

Member II
Can someone tell me the difference between a shoal draft and a wing keel on the 1983 E28 Plus? I know that both models have a draft of 4' 0" but if I'm looking at one how can I tell which model it is? Thanks in advance.

escapade

Inactive Member
keel shapes

If the keel looks like an inverted T when viewed from bow end or stern, it's a wing. The sides of the T will stick out aprox. 18" from center. If it's a shoal draft the sides of the keel will form straight line segments. Boat must be hauled or you must dive on her to tell. Hope this answers your question.
Have fun & sail fast,
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Wing keels

Bud is right, as usual-you may actually be able to see the bottom of the keel from the dock if the water is clear, but it WILL look a lot like an inverted "T" at the bottom.
FYI, wing keels are generally pretty sluggish in lighter air-especially upwind, and are slower to accelerate (more wetted surface).
Given the 28+'s great light air performance, I would avoid the wing keel if I had a choice, and if possible stay with the standard keel. If your cruising grounds are REALLY shallow, I guess you have no choice but to go shoal draft-I would still choose the non-winged variety (strictly for performance reasons).
Good luck!