E28 Emergency Tiller Dimensions

montrosesal

Member I
Hello,

1989 E28 owner with YS pedestal. Just purchased the boat and realized today that there's no emergency tiller onboard. Does anyone have the dimensions of the post and the cutout orientation? Do you think that one could be made from thick PVC?

Any help appreciated,

Jim
E28 "Rozinante":egrin:

bayhoss

Member III
Jim, I don't think that PVC would hold under adverse conditions. I have a 1986 E28 with tiller steering. I'm headed to the marina tomorrow and would be happy to get any dimension you need.

Best always,
Frank

montrosesal

Member I
Thanks Frank,

Since you have tiller steering as standard, I'm not sure if your dimesnions would help. I think the emergency tiller with wheel steering is a different setup with a post that runs just aft of the wheel pedestal.

Not sure what kind of loads this would take.

Can't imagine why someone would've removed it from the boat :(

Jim

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
E-28 Emergency Tiller

Jim: Are you referring to the vertical post which goes through the cockpit sole or the horizontal section which goes through the post and acts like a tiller? Al Frakes, Port Kent NY

jengels

Member II
Tiller

I have a 30+ with pedestal steering. I have the emergency tiller. Let me know if you would like me to go measure it or take pictures. Cmasone borrowed mine to make his own. You could possibly contact him for the dimensions.

John

montrosesal

Member I
E28 Emergency Tiller

Well, previous owner located the tiller and I'll have it before my first sail.Thanks for the offerings of help, it's great to have a forum like this!Jim

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Jim - I'll add my congratulations to Keith's on the new boat and the great name.

Former owner of Rosinante, a Columbia 8.7. Are there more spellings? :egrin:

montrosesal

Member I
Thanks everyone! It's a great boat, needs a little TLC, but solid. Kinda like Cervantes' Rocinante :)I've seen a few spellings - Rozinante, Rocinante, Rosinante. As I was narrowing my boat list down the name weighed in... and the fact it was an Ericson sealed the deal. Many more posts to come I'm sure - what a great forum Jim