E28 Characteristics

A. Trewman

Boatnut
I'm thinking of heading into Ericson waters. I have been looking at the 28's and I am noticing that there were slight modifications made through the years. I am hoping to find out as much as possible about this particular boat. Such as what years they were made from and to. When they underwent design changes. If there is a preferred model year, etc.

I have noticed a 1990 model which has appealed to me the most thus far. I particularly like the cabin top/ deck style of this model year. Anything you can tell me about it specifically?

Thanks so much! :egrin:

bsange

E - 28

We have an E-28+ and like it a lot. I'm not sure about the model years. From what I've found out, they were in production from 1980 - 1984, which doesn't match your 1990 year, with hull numbers from 501 - 594. Are you sure it's a 28? I think you meant to type 38s and not 28s. If it is a 28, the story is that to produce the 28, Ericson chopped off the last 2 feet of the 30 mold.

The 28 is a good coastal cruiser, although I wouldn't take it offshore. She is a bit tender, and will heel to 10-degrees with a slight wind. It is easy to single-hand. Once she sets in, she finds her grove. When the wind starts to kick in, you'll want to reef in the sails. The reefing points are set up for ease of use.

If you check out the Specs & Documents section, you'll find a lot of useful information.

Bernard
Andiamo

A. Trewman

Boatnut
E-28

Thanks Bernard for your reply.

No it is the 28 I am speaking about. Actually I found a bit of information on the 28 vs. the 28+ in some other threads. Apparently your comments are in keeping with the E28+ and also true to earlier models.

Apparently the E28 is a stiffer boat than the + model and is not the "cut down" E30+. It's a different boat.

I definetly have seen a 1990 model year E28 and it's very apealing to me.

Regards.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
tender characteristics

I thought it was interesting to read that the E-28+ had such tender characteristics so I checked the Sail Calculator at http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html and did a comparison with my E-27 that has been a very forgiving and stable boat for me. Here are the results. I also attached the E-28+ spec sheet. Hope this helps with your decision making.

Attachments

• Chart.jpg
    Chart.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 157
  • e28plus_specs.jpg
    e28plus_specs.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 156

A. Trewman

Boatnut
E28

Thanks Jeff. Great chart and I went to the WEB site. Unfortunatly, while they do have the E28+ available they don't have anything on the E28. :esad:

It's interesting also how the boats seemed to change back and forth through the years between an L shape galley as well as a double vs., single quarter berth.

I'll keep checking. One thing I realize is that the 28+ is certainly the more tender of the two.

Thanks again.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Veerrrry Interesting, as Artie Shaw used to say

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=GBP&access=Public&listing_id=18824&url=

Is this brokerage ad on Yachtworld that is the genesis of this thread?

Note that this, and *all* brokers take NO responsibility for the accuracy of any information posted in their listing. Standard boilerplate, and for a reason.
What is needed is a picture of the HIN from the transom... and, the second HIN copy molded inside the boat.

While the boat in the pictures looks clean, it is hard to believe that Ericson built another lonely model 28 four years after production supposedly ceased, during the closing of the plant, and while some of larger boat tooling was transitioning to PSC.
OTOH, to validate the reality of randomness in the unverse... the boat is listed as having a Yanmar. I know of only one Olson 34 with a Yanmar, and was reportedly the last one molded out (late 89 or early 90?), and finished up by the owner.

"Anything is possible" as folks always say...

Anyone got a theory?

Loren

Last edited:

A. Trewman

Boatnut
E28

LB. That's the add I saw. So I am presuming from your post that production for Ericson ended about 1986 is that correct?

In another add available on the same boat it states: "Excellent condition Ericon 28. Originally purchased with many upgrades. Has been stored out of the water under cover more than it has been in the water. Stainless, hatch trim and gelcoat all look new. Sails, canvas, instruments, lifelines etc have all been stored off the boat and are all in near new condition. This boat has to be the cleanest 1990 boat available today."

In one of the pictures of what may be the engine room there is a number 569 stamped on the hull. I wonder if this is the final 3 numbers of the HIN and might indicate something?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1492427/0

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
28's and 28+s

It is true that there were some significant changes between the model designations-but they are still VERY much the same boat in terms of performance and qualities-both have a large sailplan, are a bit tender, and sensitive to weight in the ends.

Having said that, most of these qualities are what make the boat an exceptional light air boat (especially for a cruiser), and as long as you don't carry too much sail as the breeze builds, they are fine even in heavy air-the trick is they won't carry as much sail in as much wind as some other heavier types, but they are still easily driven and perform well as long as you keep it on its' feet-it is slow and unhappy at large angles of heel, so don't let it heel too much and you will be very happy.

As far as characteristics are concerned, don't get too hung up on whether it is a 28 or 28+-they are very, very similar..

Enjoy!
S

rssailor

E28

Somewhere in the documentation that came with my 25+ is a partial brochure for an E28. I also belive that Larry Weinhoff's boat Syngizer is a 1988 model E28. Very nice boat. It lives somewhere here in the SF bay area. Always thought that a tiller steered E28 would be a great boat, but all the ones that I have seen are wheels. Just my thoughts. Ryan