E27 Type & Largest Replacement Motors

celtic sea

Member III
Just wondering what replacement engines have been put into an E27 after removing the original A4.
What is the largest HP would fit? What brands?
Thanks
John
Celtic Sea
E27 1973

kari

Member III
I have a 2 cylinder 16 hp Vetus . . . very pleased, great engine, easy fit, good access . . .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many years ago a friend of mine replaced his A4 with a single cylinder Yanmar. Great engine and it took him on several coastal cruises. He said that if he did it again he would have opted for the two cylinder model-- he had one rough trip up the Washington coast where sets of big head seas would keep slowing the boat to a stop in the worst parts of the trip.

Loren

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
Our E27 has a roughly 25 year old Yanmar 1GM9 in it. A little hard to start in the PNW winters, but it's good enough to get us up to 5kt, and burns about 3 hours per gallon. Once the engine finally gives up the ghost (our mechanic figures about 5 years left) we'll probably replace it with a two cylinder freshwater cooled engine (so we can plumb the coolant loop to our hot water tank).

Anyhow, 10HP is more than enough for these boats, and imho a diesel is a much better solution for a boat than gasoline... less electrical, and you eliminate all the vapour problems.

Schoolboyheart

Member II
Many years ago a friend of mine replaced his A4 with a single cylinder Yanmar. Great engine and it took him on several coastal cruises. He said that if he did it again he would have opted for the two cylinder model-- he had one rough trip up the Washington coast where sets of big head seas would keep slowing the boat to a stop in the worst parts of the trip.

Loren

I wonder if i own the boat you're referring to. I just replaced that single cylinder engine with a beta 14. love the engine and soooo much quieter. when i haul out to buff her i can sea the name sea spray and portland oregon on the transom…is that her?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sounds like another E-27

I wonder if i own the boat you're referring to. I just replaced that single cylinder engine with a beta 14. love the engine and soooo much quieter. when i haul out to buff her i can sea the name sea spray and portland oregon on the transom…is that her?

Not sure but I believe that the E-27 I was describing is still in the PDX (Columbia River) area. Name was (is?) "Reality Check."

Loren

aj vollmer

Member I
A rebuilt Universal M18 might be worth considering...

My E27 has a Universal M18 that a PO used to replace the original Atomic 4. They had to take space under the sink for the alternator, but otherwise seems to fit well into the existing engine compartment. They even used the original standpipe muffler exhaust system. (When that rusted out they just let it vent into the lazarette and even then it ran pretty smooth!) I replaced it with a Vetus exhaust system (waterlock type NLP, gooseneck and hose) and the engine loves it.

The M18 is a simple and rugged engine that sips diesel. I have no experience cruising offshore with it, but it handles the chop, headwinds and currents in the SF Bay pretty well. You are not going to hit hull speed under those conditions with 14 horse, but it gets you where you want to go.

I see there are rebuilt engines for sale online that are pretty reasonably priced at around $4K -- see http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/engines/engine_details.cfm?id=43543. Might be a lower cost alternative to consider.

Last edited:

dedelman65

Beta 20

Just wondering what replacement engines have been put into an E27 after removing the original A4.
What is the largest HP would fit? What brands?
Thanks
John
Celtic Sea
E27 1973

When I purchased my e27 it was repowerd with a Beta 20, this has been a very dependable, light wieght and fits perfectly...In taking with Beta though a 15 HP would have been plenty.

celtic sea

Member III
Thanks for that info, looks like the Beta 20 is the way to go when the time comes. You said it was a perfect fit. The atomic 4 currently originally installed has a lot of power which you agree the B20 has plenty of power as well which is what I'm looking for.
I assume the fuel usage is minimal?
John
Ericson 27. 1973

Glyn Judson

Beta 20 re-engine project.

John, Two thoughts among many others, popped into my head that I'd like to share with you. A diesel engine will most likely need to have an excess fuel return line routed to the main tank, so be thinking about where to install that. Apparently the high pressure injector pump supplies far more fuel to the engine than it can normally use, thus the need for a return line. Also, I don't think anyone has addressed the fact that there's a good chance the Beta 20 will require a 1" prop shaft to replace the current 3/4" A4 prop shaft. If you're lucky, it's already 1" but that's a long shot. Now for a musing thought way above my pay grade. I wonder if the factory strut can be drilled out larger to accommodate a larger shaft? Or is it a case of the cutlass bearing being made of thinner material that will slip right into your existing strut? Anyone feel like chiming in before I get my foot peermanently stuck in my mouth? Cheers, Glyn Judson, the Dawn Treader an Ericson Independence 31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

celtic sea

Member III
Thanks for that insight. I better think twice and just keep the A4 going. It's been running good for 40yrs now. It looks like it will out last the boat and me!!
Well scratch that off the list. It would probably cost more then its worth, with tanks, exhaust, shafts, etc. Better start some maintenance of the A4 !!
Thanks for that input.
John
Ericson 27 1973

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Wise Decision

A very wise and reasoned decision. The A4 in my 73' E27 continues to perform quite well. I updated it with what was available. New electric fuel pump, electronic ignition, oil filter kit, PCV valve, water pump with the quick remove cover, etc. Well worth the investment and economically sensible. The engine is simple, straightforward to work on and starts every time. Al Frakes, Port Kent, NY