E27 Rudder

Tim M

Hi I have a question about how much play should be in the rudder shaft and any idea's how to fix it, on my 27 I have about a 1/4 inch Thanks Tim

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Play in rudder

Wow, this looks like an old thread that nobody responded to, but I actually had the exact same question for my E27. I sailed it for 2 days last weekend (just got the boat), and noticed about that much play in the rudder as well. Not sure if this is normal. Anyone have thougths on this?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It would help if you described where you were measuring the 1/4" play. And whether it is a wheel or tiller. Is it making any noise, either when you turn the rudder or change directions - is there a clunking sound? I'm not familiar with the 27 rudder installation, so I can't be too specific about what to look for.

Also if you search this site you'll probably find several threads that reference E-27 (or E27) rudder play or bearings. There are quite a few 27 owners on the site, so you'll get some responses.

Good luck!

Glyn Judson

E27 rudder play.

Tim, As already suggested, look for the source of the play. If it's between the shaft and the head and then between the head and the tiller, there is a pretty simple fix available to you. It's been too many years since doing this on a friends boat but if those are two places you see play, drill out each of the holes one bolt size larger. By doing so, you may rid yourself of a lot if not almost all play, at least that was my experience doing so with my friends boat. His rudder is foam filled which allowed me to do all the drilling in the cockpit with the boat in the water. Check first for enough floatation in your rudder first before removing the bolt from the top of the shaft to avoid any sickening surprises. Test by pressing down on the shaft/head assembly and note if it pops back up when released, suggesting sufficient floatation. Keep us all posted, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA