E27 Replacement Tiller?

aaronwestward

Learning to sail
My tiller has several pretty serious cracks along the laminate, with some water intrusion under the chipped and aged varnish. I'm going to give a shot at restoring it by removing varnish, regluing, and revarnishing, but I'd like to get a replacement tiller in the meantime, since this might take a while. Then one or the other would end up as a backup tiller.

I see a lot of cheapish tillers on the Internet, including some that say they're good for an Ericson 27. The problem is that I don't really believe them, for two reasons:
1) The cheap Internet tillers are specified in terms of the "rise" of a curve between two parallel lines. But this isn't really the shape of my tiller. It's more of a C-shape, which almost no actual rise; if you draw a line between the boltholes, it almost intersects the tip of the other end. Presumably the curve is just to avoid the cockpit seats.
2) The butt of the tiller seems to be something close to 1.75 inches across, but it's not exact, and it seems any variation would be a huge problem in terms of fitting into my existing rudder thingie--like, it wouldnt fit, or it would have play. The Internet tiller places I've seen just specify it as 2", which doesn't seem right at all. I don't have any kind of woodworking capability, so if it doesn't fit exactly, it's pretty much not going to work.

Does anyone know where I could get a tiller online that I could have a reasonable confidence that it would actually work out-of-box? Ideally, it would have the boltholes predrilled, so I wouldn't have to deal with the drilling and sealing.

gascolator

Does anyone know where I could get a tiller online that I could have a reasonable confidence that it would actually work out-of-box? Ideally, it would have the boltholes predrilled, so I wouldn't have to deal with the drilling and sealing.

Time to start making local contacts. Drop in at the friendly folks at your South City West Marine. They'll certainly know "a guy" locally who can fabricate a tiller for you. Failing that, stop by the boat shop up at San Francisco Maritime National Park (say hi to the Thayer for me) during normal working hours. They'll also be a resource for a local craftsman who can do you up a nice tiller.

Glyn Judson

Exact replacement tiller for your E27.

Dear friend, Contact H&L Marine, 2965 E. Harcourt Rancho Dominguez CA 90221 at 310.638.8746 and arrange for a new one to be made. They were the company who made them for Ericson when your boat was new and can still do the same today. They have no web presence nor even email if I remember correctly so your only alternative is to call or write them. That said, they have lovely full color single pages of their catalog that they will mail to you upon request. Talk to them, work out the details and you'll have an exact duplicate before you know it. Happy 4th, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, cA

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I got one of these tillers: http://www.pyacht.com/hl-tillers.htm (Profile F)

Fits fine although I had to fiddle with the butt end to get it to fit into the tiller fork, and revarnish it after I removed a little from each side and drilled the holes.

Doug

Last edited: