E27 Outboard Replacement???

Dano

I just purchased my Ericson 27. It came with a 9.9 Johnson outboard. It appears to be terribly underpowered. I am planning on installing a mounting bracket + possibly getting a bigger motor. Does anyone know what the maximum HP outboard that I could install? I was thinking 15-20HP would be better. Or any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Dano

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On our last boat, a 4000# sloop, we used a Yamaha 4-stroke. It is somewhat heavy, at about 95#. It is labeled a 10 horse, but they were clysdale horses...
The torque is amazing (!), compared to the typical 2 stroke. We could motor (when needed) all day at 6 kts, at 1/2 gallon per hour of gas. There is no comparison between other ob engines and the "big white" Yamaha with its **three to one** reduction gear, extra long leg, and 12 inch three-blade prop. Even a heavy 2 foot chop in a narrow channel only slowed us down about a half knot.
Loren in Portland, OR

Hans

E27 outboard replacement

I use a Yamaha 9.9 hp 4-stroke on my '76 E27. I like the fit on the boat - much more power than a 2-stroke, lower gas use, and quieter too. Although more power could be useful under some circumstances, I feel that the additional weight makes upsizing less desirable.