E27 Oct Sailing vid

Andrew Means

Member III
Awesome! I see you have the traveler across the companionway, how do you like that? Mine's got wheel steering and the traveler immediately in front of the binnacle - it actually is pretty nice, especially with lots of folks in the cockpit, because whoever's at the helm can steer and handle the main sheet while everybody else drinks all his booze.

drpc

New sailor E 28 87

I am seasoned but an inexperienced sailor. To gain experience am spending a week at J school Key West . I am looking to purchase for sailing single and with friends off the Maine Coast. Boothbay Harbor. I looked at a Cape Dory 27, tartan 27 and this weekend a E 28. That boat really impressed this neophyte . The lines, cockpit , space in the cabin etc.
Any adice...what to look for....what not to do etc
drpc

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Very different boats

Cape Dory 27, Tartan 27 are older designs with full keels. They are quite heavy and need some breeze to get going. I prefer newer designs like the 28+/28. One thing you will notice is that the heavy full keel boats are less affected by having a bunch of cruising gear aboard since this weight is a smaller percentage of total weight, but the 28+/28, along with newer fin keel types, will be much quicker in lighter air, and be much better to windward (they point higher) than the older types.

All are good boats, but they will appeal to different types of sailors.

Enjoy,

S

Dave Hussey

Member III
I'm with the Cap't. My E27 is hull 954, tiller helm, mid boom sheeting. I wouldnt sheet any other way :egrin:
Heavy is good in the chop.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Just for the record.....

Compared to the Tartan 27 and Cape Dory, the E 27 is almost a ULDB!

The E 27 is a great boat in all conditions, and there is nothing wrong with real heavy weight designs either; they are just dfferent and it depends on what you want from your boat.

Enjoy your E boats-light and heavy!

Cheers:egrin:

Dave Hussey

Member III
wing-n-wing

I took a day off and went sailing last week in steady 10 knot northerly with nye a cloud in the sky. A Spring tease in the Pacific North West . :egrin:

selous

Inactive Member
Good to see some video and hear of people sailing their Ericson's !
Here's a few from the other day Feb 18,nice 18 kt North east off of Marathon Florida keys where I live. The sunny pic was taken on another day.
I love my E27,steady as a rock and capable of a good turn of speed in anything over ten kts, she also points better than a lot of boats I have sailed.

Attachments

• spray 18 feb.jpg
    spray 18 feb.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 75
  • wake astern!.jpg
    wake astern!.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 75
  • First.jpg
    First.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 84
  • reefed.jpg
    reefed.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 75

ragamuffin

Member II
Great Vid. Camera operator did a great job! Gave me the sailing itch big time! Launching Ragamuffin May 1 the first day Monroe Harbor opens hope the weather cooperates. Tiller with Mid Boom Sheeting Rules!:egrin:

Capt. Max

Member II
Speaking of the cameraman, It was one of his first sails. He was kinda scared,
when the rail would hit the water he really got scared.
He did do a good job though.
Thanks