E27 masthead sheaves

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know off hand what size sheaves the stock E27 masthead uses?

Thanks.

AleksT

Member III
I just replaced the masthead sheaves on my 27. Pretty positive they were original.
The rear two are 3" dia. the front two are 2 1/2" dia. Width for all 7/16 (I had mine made a teeny tiny hair smaller than 7/16) Pin size for all 3/8"

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Confirmed. I just ordered new sheaves and divider plate from zephyrwerks. Front is 2.98 rear is 2.48 width is .46, and pin is 3/8. Divider plate is 1/8. Total with shipping was 179. Oh and this was switching from wire to rope.

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Pic of the new sheaves and divider plate. They are a nice fit in the masthead.

005.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Will this sheave set also work with wire?

If you are upgrading your sheaves, you Really need to change to all-rope halyards. Wire-to-rope halyards were being phased out for new boats starting in the early 80's, and for good reasons.
That's two generations ago, and even longer in dog years! :rolleyes:

Given the constant problems with meat hooks and damage to sheaves and even winches, wire halyards were never more than a technical stop-gap solution until the price of very-low-stretch lines came down to where recreational sailors could afford 'em, in any case. Lots of spars have had to be re-finished over the decades from damage caused by external wire halyards, too. They were a good solution back in their day, but also created lots of additional maintenance costs down the road.

Loren

Last edited:

jstaff

Member I
I had custom sheaves made by Zephyrwerks a few years ago. I took advantage of the opportunity and installed larger pins.

I also had the sheaves made a little wider since there was adequate width to do so.

It won't change the price to have them made exactly as you want. I may have paid a few dollars additional for the larger pins.

The Zephyrwerks sheaves are beautifully made.

dt222

Member III
My measurements

My Zephyrworks set was 3" x .55 x.375 for 1/2" line (main halyard) and 2.5" x .43 x .375 for 7/16" line (jib). Divider plate was .032 x 3" x 7 1/8". Fit like a glove and no problems since install in 2011.

Don