E27 Furling Jib

ragamuffin

Member II
Hi all I am looking at adding a smaller furling jib to my inventory the 155 can get a little un ruley here on lake Michigan when the wind pipes up. Even though I can reef it to 110 or 90 I don't like the drag it creates at the headstay. Would much rather have a 110 maybe 135 any ideas comments?

thomthod

Member II
That is really a good mix to have a 110 and a 135 even on roller furling. In our club we give an extra 3 points if you race the whole year with a 135 or less.

I have heard really good things about Bacon and assoc used sails. If you call them and negotiate you can make an offer of 375 on a 500 dollar sail. Most of thier sails are in really good shape!

Thom

Blooz Traveler
E29

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ragamuffin,

I am having a 110% built by Santa Cruz Sails in the next month. We get strong wind (25+) pretty regularly here in Santa Cruz during the spring and summer and my E27 is much happier with the 135% jib furled to 110% or so in those conditions. I think a 110% is a good move.

"Lotus Flower" also has a furling asymmetrical so I'm not too worried about the reduced sail area for the lighter stuff.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ragamuffin,

I ordered it during winter with no rush. I can't remember exactly how much it was but right around $1100. You can get sails cheaper but Santa Cruz Sails are high quality high performing sails.

The 110% I'm having made will have no foam in the luff and no sun cover. I made the decision to have a sock made for my existing 135% (Rolly Tasker whose suncover rotted after 2 years) knowing that I would be having a 110% built. The cost of the sock was a little less than the sun covers for the two sails.