E27 Bulkhead Replacement

dt222

Member III
I've started the process of replacing the starboard cabin bulkhead (removed the old) and have a few questions for anyone who has done this:
  • There is some sort of grey-foamlike material at the top and bottom of the panel. Anyone know what it is?
  • The panel is 1/4 ply. Did you replace it with marine ply and face with veneer on both sides, or use marine ply with the veneer as part of the construction
  • Is it mahogany or teak facing (I'm not sure)
  • Could you install the replacement panel in one unit, or did you have to piece it (scarf, and if so, verticle or horizontal)

Any hints you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don

jengels

Member II
Don, I replaced the main bulkhead in my E-30+ a few years ago. I posted the whole thing here under "New bulkhead" I'm not sure how to link posts but if you look for it, you can find it. The gray material is most likely a spacer between the bulkhead edge and the hull. It's there to prevent hard spots. I had to re-install my new bulkhead in two pieces. I used a vertical lap joint. The original bulkhead was half inch in thickness so that's what I used to replace it (marine ply). I found a jig for making scarf joints on plywood up to 1/4 inch ply but nothing for half inch. I painted my bulkhead. Let me know if you have any other questions.

John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don,
Use the search function -- click on Advanced Search.
Then put in New Bulkhead in the Keyword box, and drop down a line and put in user name Jengels.

That should do it.

I got a return of all three of his threads that way.

Loren

Last edited:

dt222

Member III
Thanks all for the responses- particularly the help with the advanced search Loren.

I pulled out the old bulkhead and have a template made out of 1/2 plywood. As the bulkhead is a bit smaller on the 27 that the 30+ boats, I'm going to see if I can get it in one piece down the companionway (even if I have to remove the hatch). If I can, then I can use pre-faced mahogany marine plywood as a replacement. If not, then I will 2 piece it (scarf joint, resorcinol glue, epoxy overcoat) with marine plywood and face it with veneer once installed (that woul be the most expensive alternative as the sheets of veneer are as expensive as the marine ply, and I would need 2 sheets). I like the look of a white-painted bulkhead but am not sure if I want to get into painting the entire enterior.

In reading the past posts, one difference (I think) is that on the 27 the bulkead is not tabbed into the hull. The is a channel between 2 extrusions that the bulkhead is placed, and then through-bolted. Around the entire edge of the bulhead (except against the compression post) is a foam-like material that not only cushions the edge, but provides a form-fit.

One of the challenges I can forsee is that if I can get the bulkhead down in one piece I think I need to bend it as I try and fit it between these two extrusions and into the channel. So I would either have to flex if top to bottom (but a "bow" in it), or slide it in from the centerline and probably bang the last bit in (by the compression post) with a hammer and block of wood.

I'll keep you all posted as to progress.

Thanks.

Don

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I'm not faced with this challenge yet. I would love to see pictures of what you are describing and your ideas on how to fix this. Good luck with this project.

dt222

Member III
Progress report- good news and bad

The good news is that my 1/2 plywood template JUST fits through the companionway (did have to take out the port side and center molding (picture 1)), so the plan is to use 1/2 mahogany marine plywood for replacement (saves having to scarf and veneer).

The bad news is that for some reason, the tabs on the hull side do not line up (2nd picture). I don't think that the plywood is going to be able to bend to that so am thinking that I have to grind out the lower forward tab and re-do so it will allign. At the same time, I can add to the lower rear tab to make it line up with the upper portion.

Any thoughts?
templatein1.jpgmisalign.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
:confused: Assuming that they are supposed to align, I'd be more inclined to attempt some sort of clamping action to try to bring them into alignment. Might be futile but I'd try it.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
That degree of misalignment suggests that perhaps the hull has shifted on the cradle/jackstands when the old bulkhead came out. At some point, it's going to get back in alignment, or try to, or the hull strength will be compromised somehow if it doesn't. I'd figure out how to get that back into column.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Don,

I have a similar bulkhead slot misalignment on my 1976 E27. The plywood is still in place but I can see that it has been tweaked a bit (bent) by the misalignment. It may be a common occurrence. My guess is that it was the lower part of the (furniture?) pan shifting over time. The upper part (headliner) seems to have more angles that would lock it into the exterior cabin top shape. The furniture pan sits in the hull which is basically a bowl. Just a guess.