e27 boom-- internal outhaul issue

marcusn

Member II
Upon inspecting the boom of the 1975 e27 I purchased late last fall, it seems as if the internal mainsail outhaul is jammed.

The play line comes out about 2' in front of the gooseneck, and has a jam cleat just fore of where it comes out (on the port side of the boom).

I made certain the line was not cleated, and went to pull the outhaul at the aft end of the boom thinking that if I didn't have the other end cleated, the line should pull out easily. Not a chance. It just won't budge.

Does anyone know how the line runs, inside the mast, to give me a clue as to how I might begin to remedy this?:confused:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Hope this helps

Marcusn
Thought a 27 owner might have the facts but here is my guess.

On my E29T the out haul car has a line that is attached to the back of the car and goes around a fixed block in the end plate of the boom and is attached to the eye of a block that is inside the boom, a line is attached to the front of the boom and this line routes through the block mentioned before and out the exit hole on the boom. This arrangement gives a two to one ratio on the outhaul. If the 27 is like this the block may be fouled in the boom causing the line to be fast at the front internal of the boom and the car allowing no movement. You can remove the front cap of the boom and look inside to figure it out.

Good luck