E27 & 29 Tiller Fork: Anyone know where I could get a new or reconditioned one?

learking

Member I
E27 and 29 Tiller Components.jpgMy brass Tiller Fork is cracked where indicated. There are set screws in the aft facing bottoms of each fork which has further weakened the structure. Suspect these set screws were added by someone in the murky past but not sure. I could have the tiller fork brazed but would prefer to find a new or reconditioned one. My guess this one will be tough! I was unable to locate the manufacturer in the E29 Manual, but probably that company is no longer in business. If anyone has an idea, please do respond. Thanks.

Glyn Judson

New tiller fork.

Dear friend, Consider contacting the Port Townsend Foundry at 360.385.6425. You can talk to Pete the owner or his lovely wife about sending your part to them to use as a pattern and they will make a new one for you without the crack. I can't tell you how many times over the years I've employed their help in casting parts for me and I've always been more than satisfied. The most recent job they did for me were copies of a vintage Wilcox Crittenden sample clamshell vent. He made a bunch for me and David, another owner of an E31 and the copies were as good or better than the original even down to the detail of the Wc logo on the under side. All the holes were in the right place and the parts were smack on accurate in size compared to the one I supplied them with. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

learking

Member I
Dear friend, Consider contacting the Port Townsend Foundry at 360.385.6425. You can talk to Pete the owner or his lovely wife about sending your part to them to use as a pattern and they will make a new one for you without the crack. I can't tell you how many times over the years I've employed their help in casting parts for me and I've always been more than satisfied. The most recent job they did for me were copies of a vintage Wilcox Crittenden sample clamshell vent. He made a bunch for me and David, another owner of an E31 and the copies were as good or better than the original even down to the detail of the Wc logo on the under side. All the holes were in the right place and the parts were smack on accurate in size compared to the one I supplied them with. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Glyn,
Thank you so much for such a prompt response to that far-out request of mine! I'll try Pete if am unable to locate one from some other source. When I crewed the company plane, landing at SMO we used to stay at the hotel at Marina del Ray 10 years ago or so. All I remember is masts as far as the eye could see. :egrin:What a superb location to keep your Ericson 31! Thanks again.
Gard Soule
SeaKing

learking

Member I
This guy is here in Long Beach, CA. He buys abandoned sailboats mostly for the lead and resales salvaged parts. He has had at least one E-27 and one E-29 in the last 2 years, so its worth a shot. I would suggest you send him a picture. Its another option.

He even just got a website now!:)

http://www.sailboatjunkyard.com/ind...y=1942286&mode=category&offset=0&sort=nameAsc

Thanks toddbrsd, I'll look at the site. You're kind to respond so promptly and with a real lead on solving this problem!
Gard Soule
SeaKing

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I got a tiller fork from Dan at Long Beach Salvage (same place toddbrsd mentioned I think). Good place to start. I was going to have one welded up from stainless steel if I did not find one. Seemed like it would be a pretty easy job for a metal worker. Good luck.

Doug

Last edited:

learking

Member I
I got a tiller fork from Dan at Long Beach Salvage (same place toddbrsd mentioned I think). Good place to start. I was going to have one welded up from stainless steel if I did not find one. Seemed like it would be a pretty easy job for a metal worker. Good luck.

Doug

Thanks Doug for your input,
Glyn, from CA, gave me a lead on a foundry and toddrsd gave me the lead on the Long Beach facility. Spoke with Dan yesterday and sent him a sketch but need a photo and dimensions....a friend has my tiller assembly. So, thanks very much for your help! Just a question, my tiller fork has set screws in the bottom where it touches the tiller base on the cockpit floor. I'm thinking someone tapped these in. Does your tiller fork have those set screws?? Thanks Doug.
Gard
SeaKing Ericson 29

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
There were no setscrews. Wonder what their purpose was? This is the best photo I have of my replacement tiller fork.

PB290099.jpg

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The set screws were probably used to adjust the up/down position of the tiller if they are on the underside of the fork.

joe-fran

Member II
Here is another used boat company in Massachusetts you could try.

They have junked boats each week they tear apart, salvage the good stuff and dispose of the carcass.

http://www.massmarineparts.com/

They are not that easy to contact but worth the effort

If they won't ship it, let me know and I can help as I live only about 3 miles away

Joe

misterfixit

tiller fork set screws

The set screws were probably used to adjust the up/down position of the tiller if they are on the underside of the fork.

The set screws are in the end of the tiller fork and were they tightened, would have locked against the bolt that holds the tiller fork to the tiller head. Obviously someones afterthought since they are cold rolled steel and had rusted in place.

Attachments

• top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 134

tenders

Innocent Bystander
FWIW, the tiller fork on my 32 has none of those holes drilled into it--only the horizontal holes for the tiller throughbolts. I wonder if those setscrews are (peculiar) after-market additions from previous owners.

learking

Member I
Here is another used boat company in Massachusetts you could try.

They have junked boats each week they tear apart, salvage the good stuff and dispose of the carcass.

http://www.massmarineparts.com/

They are not that easy to contact but worth the effort

If they won't ship it, let me know and I can help as I live only about 3 miles away

Joe

Hello Joe,
Thanks for the suggestion. A gentleman in NH has shipped me a tiller fork he had in his basement; however, it may not be suitable. I'll check out your suggestion if necessary. I'll check out their website.
Gardner Soule
SeaKing