E25 Masthead routing

It's stupid question time again.

My E25 has four masthead sheaves, of which only two carry halyards, and three exits from which the halyards exit.

Only two halyards were set up on my boat: the mainsail and the genoa. There is an additional external block for the spinnaker halyard.

I suppose one could be rigged for a topping lift, and the other???

And why just three exits for four sheaves?

What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_1441.JPEG
    IMG_1441.JPEG
    94.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1442.JPEG
    IMG_1442.JPEG
    84.2 KB · Views: 9

klb67pgh

Member III
I have a block forward on brackets at the mast head and that is for a drifter sail. Both ends of the halyard run down to the bow pulpit and are tied w hitches to stow. The genoa needs to be furled to fly the drifter. My drifter halyard might foul in the genoa furler if it ran back to the mast at the mast head. With my set up, it all stays forward of the genoa until I fly it. Then the halyard tail can be cleated at the mast. Your PO might have used your forward block in a similar way. None of my halyards are internal but I do not think that matters for my guess as to your set up. But that's at best an educated guess.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
1C85915F-122E-4FAB-8920-741A5CD6406D.jpeg
Each sail uses both sheaves for external halyards. Mainsail shackle runs down the back side of the mast and headsail shackle runs down the front. Both ends run down to the mast base where they run through a block and back to the cockpit. Red is the foresail/Genoa. Black is mainsail. Hole at front of mast head is were a pin would run through that would hold a block for a spinnaker. I run the topping lift off the same pin that holds the backstay. Hope that helps.

Thanks. It looks like Roscoe had his boat set up that way too.
Mine uses internal halyards, which frees up two sheaves.
Any thoughts on internal versus external halyards?

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Thanks. It looks like Roscoe had his boat set up that way too.
Mine uses internal halyards, which frees up two sheaves.
Any thoughts on internal versus external halyards?
Not really familiar what are the pros and cons of either but I would imagine that internal would have slightly more drag (especially if you don’t have exit blocks at the base of the mast) and be a little harder to replace a halyard. I abide by the K.I.S.S. principle so it’s external for me. Also, that’s just the way my boat came.

I’m sure some of these guys with more experience can give a clearer answer on this.