E25 mast raising...

adamd

Member II
Hi,

I'm about to raise the mast on my E25. I don't know if I have the hinge or not, does anyone have a pic?

Basically if I do I can raise it with the shrouds / halyards? Looks pretty easy from the examples I've seen on the net.

Adam

wolly bugger

Member II
mast raising

Hi Adam, Starting with the mast down will make thing a bit easier if you happen to have the hinge. the hardest is to figure out the boom guy length which is tight when the mast is down. Here is a picture of the hinges. If you have any more question about the process let me know.
Which part of MTL do you live in? I spent my teenage years in Anjou, then move north to blainville and St-jovite before I made it up here.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 359

adamd

Member II
Hi Adam, Starting with the mast down will make thing a bit easier if you happen to have the hinge. the hardest is to figure out the boom guy length which is tight when the mast is down. Here is a picture of the hinges. If you have any more question about the process let me know.
Which part of MTL do you live in? I spent my teenage years in Anjou, then move north to blainville and St-jovite before I made it up here.

I live right downtown in the plateau, I used to live out near langlier, it's sorta close to anjou :)
I'm going to head out to the boat this weekend and take some shots of it.. I'll try to raise it next week with a friend if it's hinged.

Thanks I'll let you know!

adamd

Member II
Oh one more question...Do I raise it from the front or the back... The mast is probably laying on the bow pulpit or A frame and then we raise toward the stern ya?

wolly bugger

Member II
Your right, the mast rest on the bow. I notice the tabernacle on your picture but couldn't see the mast bottom. You need to bottom of your mast to be curve to clear the mast step as it is lower or raise. A couple more thing, make sure the boom goose neck is secure and cannot move in its track, the boom guy are tight when the mast is down (they will loosen up as you raise the mast and the shrouds will get tighter), shrouds turnbuckle should be unscrew most of the way, keep an eye on your turnbuckle so they don't bend, the wind can take your mast where you don't want it to go, facing the wind will help to keep thing strait. After you've done it a couple time it get much easier and faster.

davisr

Member III
Adam,

Glad to know you are getting down to business on your new E25. I second Stephan's opinion on your hinged-mast set-up. I also checked out your photo gallery. Your set-up looks nothing like my unhinged, deck-stepped mast. On my unhinged type of set-up the aluminum base of the mast appears to be almost flush with the deck. The female base of mast sits on top of the male base which protrudes from the deck. In contrast to this set-up, the mast on your E25 sits in a cradle atop the male protrusion.

Best of luck,
Roscoe

davisr

Member III
Adam,

From the photo it appears that we have the same type of forward hatch, a teak frame with lexan on top. Only difference is that on mine, at some point, someone replaced the clear lexan smoked. The joints on mine are loose. Water leaks there and around the edges of the lexan. I'm the process of rebuilding this (along with the companionway hatch, which is much more of a challenge).

It also appears from the photo that someone, at some point, removed the winch that used to be located on the center of the cabin house. You can see the circular shape just aft of the mast. Someone did the same to mine. If you look in the Ericson 25 documents on this website you will see an original sales bulletin which shows the winch mounted in this location. Presumably it served to raise and lower the centerboard.

Take care,
Roscoe

adamd

Member II
Thanks Roscoe,

The hatch in the head is horrible, it doesn't latch correctly and I hope it doesn't leak. The velcro screen is also useless.

When I went to the boat last week there was some water on the countertops, I think it's either coming if from the main hatch or the instruments. Something that needs to be fixed asap.

The winch for the center board is now on the starb side of the hatch, is that where yours is by chance?

Some good news, the marina just called me and said they have 2 people that can help me tomorrow!!! YEAH!!!!

wolly bugger

Member II
Adam, you're right,that is where my CB winch is. It appears that I never had anything mounted in that location aft of the mast.

Roscoe, I'm sorry I never got back to you about the anchor roller. I used it last week, it works great. I should be going out with the boat again this week end, I'll take some pictures.

davisr

Member III
Adam,

Yea, my centerboard winch is located on the starboard side of the companionway. The fair lead is located in the same place as yours - aft and starboard of the mast. Good luck with locating the source of that leak that causing the water accumulation on the countertops.

Stephan,

Glad that anchor roller is treating you right. Would really like to see a few pictures when you get a chance. That's still on my to-do list. I've been side-tracked by the companionway hatch rebuild.

Best regards,
Roscoe

adamd

Member II
Mast is up!!!!!!!

Figured out a few things too, like that rope coming out of the bottom of the mast. That centerboard is heavy!!

I didn't raise any sails, but the boom is up, very easy to do I might add. I have people in town, so I will have a full day on the boat on monday.

I had to move the boat and parallel dock at a concrete dock to raise the mast. It was the first time I had it in motion. I found myself standing with the rudder in on hand and bending over to control the throttle. Came out of my slip ok, but when I came back in I was a bit far from the finger dock, but didn't touch the boat beside me. Luckily I had someone to help pull me over.

Anyways, I'm rambling on but it's all very new and exciting :)
I'll post back after monday's clean and shine and sail !!

Adam